Langer's Delicatessen - The Legendary Pastrami Sandwich, Mouth-Watering Corned Beef & Beef Tongue, Egg Salad, Matzo Ball Soup, Corned Beef Hash and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

The old put a celebrity pic on the wall so it must be good issue - there might be even a negative correlation

I like the dogs. I love Aretha Franklin. I don’t go to hotdog stands just to take a picture. I want a dog.

If you’ve had the 12" jalapeno dog lemme know…Aretha fancied the loaded polish dog.

Aretha Franklin Honored by Pink’s Hot Dogs (tmz.com)

I love when a restaurant also has good taste.

R E S P E C T

Can’t even remember which dogs we had there as they were quite unremarkable and we found it was just an “institution” living of their history but not really anything quality wise (they weren’t horrible dogs but nothing even remotely special)

2 Likes

sometimes extraordinary moments come from ordinary things…it’s a hotdog! Hope @BobfromRIinVA has some fun !

1 Like

Let me guess - you are working in an advertising agency :wink:

I will take your word for it, @chienrouge. :slight_smile: But I don’t feel the need to necessary check for myself. :wink:

1 Like

Pink’s is the worst kind of tourist trap.

It attracts the wrong type of crowd, and it serves up disgusting food.

You’re better off at the Costco food court. Better dogs, better prices, better atmosphere.

Just to add: I don’t expect much from a hot dog! Being an East Coaster, Pink’s is just a thing to do once.

1 Like

@BobfromRIinVA have fun and don’t let the haters discourage you from your plans. I like them.

Pinks is an institution in our city (as most people know) and it’s a place I am proud of.

I may be “the wrong type of crowd” but I don’t value criticism about atmosphere where Costco and KKK photos are preferred.

(ps, I assume this is just trading in hyperbole and contrarianism to a degree)

Have a great time in LA visiting your girl!

6 Likes

Hi @BobfromRIinVA ,

Nice! I hope you enjoy your first visit to Langer’s when you visit LA. :slight_smile: Let us know what you think. Cheers!

1 Like

Huell Howser orders a tongue sandwich at Langer’s and goes to a taco stand for a tongue taco. This was filmed around 2011 or so.

3 Likes

Google says 2016.

1 Like

Huell Howser died in 2013

4 Likes

You’re right. Google lied again!

Second try said 2011, but that may be an air date. Langer’s posted it on their webpage on January 19, 2011.

2 Likes

The great Huell Howser passed away January 2013. I thought that the way he put his shows together was brilliant.

3 Likes

I’d love to him as a passenger on a cross-country road trip

2 Likes

https://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/

Our local pbs station(Southern Oregon/Northern California) still runs these.

3 Likes

My hot take:

Art’s has the best corned beef and Brent’s the best pastrami in LA.

I don’t put Langers above places like the hut and Johnny’s and the joint on Crenshaw down the street from my family’s old furniture store.

1 Like

Sorry for the dilatory response! I ordered a #19 and it was superb. The rye bread was excellent – actually had a real crust. Bonus: The guy next to me at the counter asked me to watch his laptop while he went to the mens room. I confess to not really watching it, but no one stole it and he then paid for my lunch!

I needed the calories as I followed up my Langers visit with a hike to the HOLLYWOOD sign via the hard route, which is no joke! And it was a hot day. Burned off the sando and more.

Returned to LA last week pre-Hilary for sophomore year move-in and met and old friend and her family at Johnny’s West Adams. Can’t really say the reuben sandwich was better than Langer’s but it was delightfully messy and filling and came with a nice pile of fries. My daughter enjoyed her first-ever knish too! Great spot for a convivial gathering.

10 Likes

They’re trading at the same place:

1 Like