Langer's Delicatessen - The Legendary Pastrami Sandwich, Mouth-Watering Corned Beef & Beef Tongue, Egg Salad, Matzo Ball Soup, Corned Beef Hash and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

I wonder what their chili is like?
What if it was the real Chasens?

:slight_smile:

Had the Tommy’s chili cheeseburger – good stuff, especially the orange stream running down forearm to elbow.

https://lamag.com/dining/best-pastrami-rc-provisions

1 Like

Because I haven’t lived in the LA area since 2007, I can’t vouch whether it’s still the case of not, but the last time I went to Tommy’s, the chili they used was this;

And Pink’s Hot Dogs was purported to use the same product on their chili dogs. Their recipes may be somewhat proprietary to the XLNT chili sold in stores, but I’ve had both Tommy’s and Pink’s as well as the XLNT chili sold in supermarkets and couldn’t tell the difference.

As for Chasen’s chili, the real thing used to be available at the Bristol Farms in West Hollywood. I don’t know if that’s still the case and I’ve actually never even had it.

2 Likes

And sidenote - Alison Martino is Al Martino’s daughter.

1 Like

Yes, I have known Alison for more than 10 years and although I don’t use any social media anymore (I personally don’t consider Hungry Onion or topical forums to be social media), we became somewhat close (well, as close as one can get on social media without having actually met in person) over the years.

1 Like

I figured you knew that. It was more for everyone else.
Friend from Roadfood, Elise, is real life friends with her.
And maybe you!

1 Like
1 Like

Interesting. When I was last at Tommy’s (probably somewhere between '01 and '08), I found their chili to be greasy but flavorless. More recently (2020) I made chili from the frozen XLNT “brick” and it was great, just like I remembered it in my youth. I highly doubt that XLNT has changed their product (IIRC they’ve been around for over a century), so I have to conclude that (a) Tommy’s somehow diluted it into the flavorless mess I had on my burger there, or (b) they weren’t using XLNT at the time I was there.

As for Chasen’s chili, I’d like to try it some time, but my understanding is that it’s pretty much standard chili, with butter added. I did try adding butter to chili once, with less-than-great results. YMMV of course.

1 Like