Lamb liver, cooking ideas brainstorming?

I used part of it to make a sauce, but I have a lot of leftover. Besides the classic way to sear with butter and serve with a vinegar reduction sauce with onion confit and parsley, any other ideas?

I have really, really positive views on this subject, but I’m hitting the hay now here in Madrid, so I’ll revert after my lovely insurance medical assessment tomorrow morning.

1 Like

I think it’s good grilled.

You might like Tom Kerridge’s mustard and thyme prep: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3906100/Tom-s-bonfire-night-bites-Lamb-s-liver-bacon-mustard-mash.html

Here’s a tip I learned from chef James Peterson: If you nick the edges of your liver slices before frying or grilling, they won’t “potato chip” on you nearly as much.

2 Likes

Onion gravy would be our regular sauce. But it’s weird - we seem to have drifted away from cooking liver in recent years.

1 Like

Stir fry with some onions, leeks, and carrots.

Be sure to soak the lamb liver in water, then soak in milk for at least 30 minutes. Then marinade the liver in some Shaoxing wine, soy sauce and a tad of flour.

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas. So far looks like liver is an English (European) and Chinese specialty.

Anybody every tried Lebanese raw kidney Kibbeh nayyeh?

Thanks for the tip!

Many years ago a neighbor in the country came over in a panic. She had to take an hors d’ oeuvre to an event and had nothing in the house. Questioned, she finally said, well, yes, she had liver from two goats they had slaughtered. She wound up making Julia Child’s chicken liver mousse with her goats iiver. It was lovely, unexpected and well received.

3 Likes

Lamb liver is my favorite liver.

Although I do love all kinds of liver. Followed closely by bison liver.

1 Like

Sounds good. I will look at this pate / mousse direction for my immediate use.

Do you cook the liver completely, or pink?

Grill is an interesting option. Thanks for the avoid “potato chip” tip!

So many interesting recipes.
Maybe I should order more liver ?! And leave in the freezer, good ones are not easy to find.

I haven’t had bison liver. Do you now how it compares to venison or elk liver?

Depends on how I am preparing it.

If stir frying, I tend to aim for a bit of pink in the middle.

If sous vide, then no pink obviously.

I rarely grill liver, of any kind.

It’s less gamey and minerally than venison liver, and also less chewy and dense.

Not had elk liver.

My sister in law is married to a Mallorcan and lived on the island for quite a number of years. There was family pig that was raised and killed annually. It was a big family event when most of the bits were turned into salami and the like. But there were some things, like liver that needed to be cooked and eaten that d ay (or next). The classic preparation is a fry-up of the liver, potatoes, onion and peppers, flavoured with fennel. It’s a dish you come across regualrly on restaurant menus where it’s usually called by its Spanish name - Frito Mallorquin. In the local dialect of Catalan, it’s know as frit de matances - slaughter fry.

We went for dinner one night, where Pedro’s mother had cooked frito for us as a special treat. But there was something horribly chewy in it. Obviousl we had to smile and get on with swallowing it. Asked the sister in law later what it was - the lungs.

Wow, never cooked lungs, I bet it’s very elastic and you need hours of cooking.

What does lamb liver taste like?
I’m assuming it is tougher than beef or chicken liver if it requires soaking then tenderizimg in milk.

Only have ever had beef or chicken and
my typical prep for regular liver is quite boring.
I douse it with lemon the dredge it with a flour mixture with s&p sometimes I add herbs and fry with onions.