Labor Day Menus

I haven’t quite decided yet. Let’s hear some ideas. I’m guessing a few mean cheeseburgers will be in the mix at some point :sunglasses: I haven’t checked the weather but I heard Saturday looks to be the best day.

2 Likes

Sunday is move my son into college day, kind of puts a dent into holiday plan making. I will live and drool vicariously through all of your posts.

Lol. We almost had a big party labor day weekend but it didn’t work out so looks like it’s just a family meal. Not sure what food we will eat but definitely having Hurricanes to drink.

1 Like

We were going to grill on Saturday, but not sure if the weather will cooperate. Our local supermarket has lobsters on sale for $5.99lb, so we may have that.

2 Likes

Something with fresh hatch chilis, but don’t tell my wife.

1 Like

Johnsonville party pack bratwurst on special $ 6.50 (3lbs.) at Costco if you are looking for ideas.

Potato salad, silver queen, watermelon.

Don’t forget the mustard (Seal).

Local Shoprite? Hate to say it but you are over paying, they were $ 5.77lbs last week!

It’s the Giant chain in the DC area. I’m not surprised it’s cheaper elsewhere, grocery prices here are ridiculous. The good thing is Giant will steam them for us, so no fuss no muss!

1 Like

Chez RGR, hot dog season begins Memorial Day Weekend and ends on Labor Day. Given the bad weather forecast for Sunday and Monday, we will have our final hot dogs of 2016 tomorrow. It will be just the two of us. I only use Hebrew National. We don’t bother with buns (though I do use them when we have company). We top the dogs with deli mustard and sour kraut (both Batampte brand). Sides will be Busch’s vegetarian baked beans and homemade cole slaw. We’ll start with cantaloupe and finish with buttermilk corn ice cream I made a few day ago.

My Blog
My Flickr

1 Like

FYI if you like a little “spicy” Delicious Orchards has a delicious spicy dog(s) you can get at their deli counter. Certainly more hot dog than sausage it really is unique and been a favorite of mine for years.

1 Like

Corn and grilled pork chops tonight
Out for Indian food tomorrow night for wedding anniversary #7
Farmer’s market on Sunday for one last batch of tomatoes, maybe a pie and some preserves. Been craving risotto, so I might buy some fancy shrooms and do that Sunday night.
Golf Monday, so likely hitting up a “casse-croute” in the country for some poutine and steamies.

casse-croute is like a chip stand in Quebec- fries, dogs, burgers…
steamie is the preferred hot dog prep in Quebec- a steamed dog inside a steamed bun, with mustard, onion, and cabbage slaw. It’s freakin’ delicious!

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5659/23426988010_f87611f358_c.jpg

1 Like

Did you get the rain? None here in Montréal northeast of you; it was sunny and downright hot.

I didn’t make much of anything as many of my friends are out of town for the weekend, and I’m working.

It is much hotter here now than usual for this time of year; I’m not complaining. I’ve made seafood stock from shrimp shells and some other fishy things, but I think I’ll freeze it and make a fish soup/stew when I have friends over. So nice with all the late summer bounty.

We didn’t get ANYTHING, lagatta! It didn’t start to get cloudy on Monday until dusk. Rain started overnight through today - mostly a “misty rain”. It was cool(ish) on Sunday, so I still made the pot roast I had planned, albeit still a bit warm for that type of meal. It’ll be perfect for leftovers tonight with the weather.