Kuhn Rikon Ceramic SS frypan?

Was looking for an alternative to the Zwilling Thermolon ceramic and found this. Some Kuhn Rikon pans are still Swiss made. Not sure if this one is. I like that it is ceramic with a SS body. I think it has some layers of aluminum for conductivity. I would rather a ceramic pan have SS under the coating than Aluminum. But I like Aluminum ply layers for conductivity.

It doesn’t claim to be non-stick, but that is what I was hoping to find. Not all ceramic coatings are. My Silit Silargen isn’t Its a great coating otherwise.

Thinking about giving the 20cm a test run as I am looking for a Ceramic non-stickish egg pan. Would like to find out where it is Mfg’d.

I have had my eye on the Mfg in Belgium Demeyere Industry Ceramic exclusive to SLT but havent pulled the trigger. I guess I could settle for a SOL or Spirit but didn’t like that they are made in China or therabouts.

What do u guys think is this pan worth a shot?

Although I strongly prefer a thick (> 5 mm) encapsulated aluminum base for SS saucepans and stockpots, I think that SS frying pans should be fully clad for better heat distribution out to the rim. This is especially true for omelets. I hate it when the edges of an omelet don’t harden up quickly enough to keep them from dribbling all over the place. The Kuhn Rikon you posted has an encapsulated sandwich base. (PS. I should mention that I cook on induction. On gas, fast lateral thermal conductivity might not be so much of an issue.)

As for ceramic coatings, I’ve tried various ceramic frying pans (not Thermalon, though). As many people have reported, I found that ceramic pans tend to lose their nonstick properties within a couple of months. Eventually, I decided that high-quality PTFE really is the best nonstick coating for an egg pan, be it aluminum or fully clad SS. Since eggs are cooked at low-medium heat, there should be no concern regarding the release of toxic vapors. If you only use the pan for eggs and always cook with silicone utensils, the coating should last for years.

Thanks, Yeah I saw later that is sandwich bottom. Fully clad does make the most sense on a frypan to heat up the sides. Yes we talk much about thermal conductivity on cookware, but great point how it’s not nearly such an issue with gas as it is with electric. I use my steel core Silit ceramic Silargen coated on gas and also Sitram Catering and the Catering is more responsive and conducts almost to well and fast sometimes. However the Silit is still somewhat responsive and I don’t notice much lag warm up time with gas. Thick cast iron seem to take the longest to heat up, even on gas.

One thing I don’t care for, even on high quality PTFE, is that cooking oil doesn’t spread well over the cooking surface, even when heated. It’s like a oil & water effect on the cooking surface. I know you need less oil on non-stick but still need some usually and you can’t even spread it effectively on PTFE non-stick Teflon like surfaces.

Agreed. Not as noticeable with butter, though. (BTW, I’ve also found that butter tends to give better nonstick performance than oil on Silit Silargan ceramic frying pans.)

I’ll have to try the Ghee on the Silit Silargan and see how it performs. I Mostly cook with unrefined coconut oil or Ghee.