[Kuching, Malaysia] Soups and noodles

Mixed pork soup and kuey teow noodles@
Noodle Descendents

No. 188, Jalan Padungan, 93100 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia

This is something of a Kuching institution having been around fir for 60 years. I knew there would be a wait but still
A 40 minute wait for a table and a 40 minute wait for the food. Worth it? Not sure. Mixed pork soup was very light with many different piggy bits, very nice, especially the minced pork and liver. More pork in the kuey teow noodles, my favourite style of noodle. Nice strong lemon ice tea.

Laksa@
Chong Choon Cafe
275, Jalan Chan Chin Ann, 93100 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia

Leaving Kuching today. Final meal in Kuching was breakfast of laksa and three layer tea. A fitting end to my time here. Good savoury broth in the laksa but still light. Prawns were fresh and well cooked. The three layer tea was also good, proper strength tea.

Tang Hoon Soup@
Yang Guan Cafe
Jalan Ban Hock, 93100 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia

Hock King Chicken Rice wasn’t open at the time we went. So went elsewhere for breakfast. The chicken rice was not very good. Dry chicken, no cucumber and a poor chili sauce. The tang hoon soup from the Hakka Yong Tau Fu stall was much better. Especially loved the aubergine and bitter gourd stuffed with pork very nice.

Bak kut teh dry and wet@
Go Fun Kee Bak kut teh.
131, Jalan Ban Hock, 93100 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia

The normal bak kut teh was okay. The soup was a bit too sweet for me I prefer a more herbal soup. Nice to have ribs in the soup and the belly pork was good. Not enough tofu puffs though. The dry bak kut teh was very tasty, especially liked the okra. Pork a bit dry though.
The winter melon tea was nice, first time I’d tried this.

j

Laksa@ Joys Corner
Block F, No. 22-23, Taman Sri Sarawak Mall, Jalan Padungan, 93100 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia

I had this about 2pm and so it may be a mitigating factor, perhaps it’s better first thing. I can only hope so. Very mediocre broth and the noodles were too soft. That through was nothing compared to the mushy prawns. Worst dish I had in Kuching.

Kolo mee@

Tian Lee Food Centre

243, Jalan Padungan, 93100 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia

A little different from the standard kolo mee as it had deep fried pork instead of sliced char sui. Minced pork was full of flavour and a good texture on the noodle.

5 Likes

I just love Kolo mee!