Kokis

Here’s a Sri Lankan food item. The name is Kokis which derived from the Dutch word meaning “cookies”. Is it Koekjes or something? Sri Lanka was under the Dutch rule long ago, and we have inherited many words and foods from them.

7 Likes

Never heard of this. Looks great!

Do you have a recipe?

1 Like

Are they sweet?

1 Like

Did you make these? They came out beautifully!

I love rose cookies. They are popular all over South India, Goa, Mumbai, and parts of Malaysia, among people who celebrate Christmas. They are made with a special mould.

https://simpleindianrecipes.com/Home/Rose-Cookies.aspx

2 Likes

My sister made them. They are usually made savoury. Never heard them made sweet, but you can. I’ll get the exact recipe from her. There’s another Wikipedia article about it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokis
Here’s a picture of the mould dipped in the mixture ready to put in deep oil.

5 Likes

I have a look at my local amazon store, the description of the moulds on sale are Swedish rosette waffle iron or cookie mould, the recipes are sweet.

I checked your wiki link on Sri Lankan kokis, they are also sweet. Interesting to know you have a savoury version in your region.

2 Likes

Festive fun Indian version:

1 Like

These cousins appear to be the sweet ones.

1 Like

I too read it after seeing your reply. Trust me, the most common version in Sri Lanka is savoury, not sweet. Actually sweet kokis is very rare, if there is. I’ve travelled the width and breadth of the island, and kokis is savoury. Maybe in some pockets of communities they have it sweet.
But again, it being popular in India and other countries too, it maybe sweet there, and someone has entered it in Wikipedia too. Maybe the majority ‘in the world’ make it sweet. In that case Sri Lankans are a tiny tiny minority.
Some people want to add what they like as facts. Lol.
One example is the Wikipedia article about the national food of Sri Lanka. Someone has added “kottu” as a national food. But it isn’t. Kottu still is a dish that’s eaten at food shops, not even made at home. Lately some shops sell the ingredients so that you can just put them together and cook at home, but that’s all. Kottu came to the country in the 90s. :sweat_smile:

It’s a sweet one. A must at auspicious occasions.

1 Like

Looks crunchy. The mould is high/deep, whereas moulds for other versions are much lower.

Please post a complete dish of savoury kokis. Is there any vegetable or meat, sauce etc in the dish?

PS: Wiki is not a reliable source, don’t believe most of what’s written there.

2 Likes

Kokis is not eaten with any accompaniment. It’s just a super crunchy snack. The strange thing is that it’s usually offered together in the same palette with kavum which is sweet, Kiribath(milk rice) which is eaten with a chilli paste, and many other sweet items. The tradition is that you pick whatever you like, savoury or sweet, or both, and eat as you like.

Kokis could be just neutral, with coconut milk, flour, and eggs only. Else you can add cumin and thinly sliced curry leaves to make it more “spicy.” (Or it could be made sweet as I now understand that other peoples do.)

3 Likes

Great info, thanks.

I was only familiar with the sweet ‘rose cookies’ version, so it’s good to know that there is a savory incarnation too.

1 Like

You picked the username of Rasam the South Indian apatizer? I love it especially when I’ve lost apatite after fever etc. I can make a really good one.

Wonderful to learn about Sri Lankan kokis! Your photo brought back a memory of a type of sweet (dessert) cookie that my aunt’s mom sometimes made, which looks quite similar.

Probably my aunt’s late mother called them “rosettes” but I can’t recall. The batter she used was sweet rather than savory. The cookies were dusted with confectioner’s sugar (also known as powdered sugar) after frying. I am in the US and cookies she made tended to have an Italian-American influence.

1 Like

Hi @LastManStanding! Yes, I picked my username after the South Indian soupy dish. You can sip a cup of rasam as an appetizer, or it can be mixed with rice as part of a full meal. Either way it’s fantastic.
Definitely yes, it wakes up the digestion when someone is feeling sick or down. I think it can be called the ‘South Indian penicillin’.
There are so many rasam varieties. I would love to learn what yours is, if you care to share. I am sure it will be great.

3 Likes

Yep. Koekje for singular, koekjes is plural :wink:

1 Like

My mother (from Goa) used to make a sweet version at Christmas.

2 Likes

I must make that. Looks like the savoury version is limited to Sri Lanka. I must ask my Indian friends for a recipe.

1 Like

I :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: the sweet version of rose cookies. Some family friends used to give us at Christmas. I can put away my (not inconsiderable) body weight in these, thus ensuring more body weight for the next year.

I would love the chance to try @LastManStanding 's savory version one day. Maybe the universe will manifest that in 2023.

2 Likes