Kiwi - something sexy?

Mr n keeps buying kiwis these days, so much so that we have at least 15+ now. Except eating it as fruits and sometimes in a fruit salad, I think that’s about it.

Do you have interesting savoury or sweet dish made with kiwis? Please share and thanks!

I have never made this, but a popular summer time “salsa” I’ll make for fish would be pineapple and mango with red onion lime juice and cilantro, I bet some chopped kiwi would go good in the mix. Chop it up mix it all together and serve on top of your favorite fish blackened. (Mahi-Mahi works good)

4 Likes

If you have an ice cream maker, kiwis make nice sorbet. Purée in a blender and add simple syrup and lime juice to taste then spin & freeze.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve a small ice cream maker, but rarely use… That sounds good.

1 Like

It’s not sexy, but my friend just made a refreshing salad with kiwi, avocado, radicchio, scallions, and pine nuts in a citrusy vinaigrette.

3 Likes

Thanks, sometimes I slice like this as side with a meat dish, gives acid and sweet touch.

1 Like

Your salsa sounds good, great with scallop I think.

Now I looked up a bit online, saw some people try to make pesto with kiwi.

In the same vein as sorbet but no machine - kiwi granita.

Last summer I learned to make shrubs (drinking vinegars - great for cocktails or sparkling water) - great way to preserve fruit.

1 Like

For people who like to make jam or preserve, kiwi and lime is a good combination. There is one from Francis Miot, I keep buying each time, they put some slices of kiwi in the preserve and the seeds add some crunch.

1 Like

My sil makes this and kiwi is always the featured fruit.

Kiwi smoothie is delicious.

1 Like

Buttermilk ice cream with kiwi is also tasty.

1 Like

I just like Kiwi by themselves. Nothing better than Kiwi with Kiwi.

1 Like

Not savory, but lots of elegant eye appeal: a fruit salad of blueberries, halved green grapes, and sliced green kiwi. Add a bit of honey or agave nectar, stir very gently, and let macerate in the fridge. The fruit glistens like jewels. Serve in a stemmed glass bowl, garnish with mint, as a refreshing dessert. Add a splash of prosecco or other sparkling wine if you wish. Or over lemon sorbet. If using golden kiwi, use red grapes or pomegranate arils.

2 Likes

@NotJrvedivici 's idea with fish is a good one I think. My first though was pairing them with mackerel. Gooseberries work with mackerel & kiwis have a similar flavour profile… i would use them with shaved fennel to make a salad and serve with grilled mackerel.

2 Likes

I’ve always thought they are beautiful, but oddly they present my only food allergy challenge. It’s nice they’re easy to avoid, unlike so many other foods. I was admiring/molesting a friend’s vine with pretty flowers when I started itching & developing hives. Sure enough, I looked at the growers card and it was kiwi. I could glove up and make kiwi, blueberries & grapes for others though. Sounds like a stunning combination.

This got me thinking and I haven’t had kiwi in a while. For some reason tuna popped into my head. I’m a raw tuna fanatic. I found this online and it looks interesting

1 Like

This is the reason why I know so few recipes. It’s true, it’s good on its own.

I don’t know if there is some common elements in these fruits: kiwis, melons, pineapples and papayas, I can get a tingling feeling in the mouth and throat, the worst is melons and pineapples, but it’s really mild.

Thanks. Kiwi works well with fish or seafood.

Kiwis and strawberries pair well together.

Kiwi & strawberry popsicles (maybe add some vodka)
Rainbow tarts (sliced kiwi, strawberries, bananas, blueberries
Cheesecake topped with kiwis and strawberries
Kiwi and strawberry fruit sushi?
Sangria - add sliced kiwis, strawberries, blueberries

2 Likes