Kitchen Tools - Shining Stars For 2016

Oooh, JMF, help me out here…

The Searzall was 2016’s Xmas splurge. I’m mildly irritated that it’s so underpowered on my existing TS-4000 torch head. And a little pissed off that they only tell buyers AFTER the fact that the 4000 is <1/2 the power of the TS-8000. And it came missing pieces.

Are you telling me you think it’s underpowered with the TS-8000, too?

Thanks,
Kaleo

For 2016:

• thermapen
  • wooden spoon
  • giant sifter that doubles as a colander
  • silicone spatula
  • spoon rest
1 Like

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1v60TsTeyL.SL1500.jpg

This boilover/splatter guard. Took me a while bc of the price but now Ive given 3 of them as presents. I love it and now don’t want to make pasta without it.

2 Likes

What brand is it? I am so over making pasta and the salt water ends up all over my glass cooktop!

That is the amazon link but apparently they don’t have it right now but I think it’s around at other places. The little flapper thing in the middle comes out and then it is excellent for preventing spitting of volcanic tomato sauces etc. There are times when I wish I had 2 of these. I haven’t had a pasta water spillover since purchasing:)

just noticed this link on the amazon page

looks the same as mine but one quarter the price. can’t tell dif with pics.

Thanks, Elsie! I wonder why the one is so much more expensive? I did read the reviews for the Zoie and apparently it doesn’t fit a 10 inch pot and falls in. How large a pot does the other fit?

Love my Chopstir, have had it a couple of years and it works so much better than a spatula for browning ground meat.

1 Like

Yes, I think it is still underpowered with the TS-8000. Maybe, not underpowered, but the heat isn’t radiating as well as it should, and a lot of flame leaks through. When I get around to it I will adjust the internal settings to see if I can get it to heat up more with less flame making it through the screen. I do use it for actual cooking, but still end up searing more with my Iwatani, or a plain old torch from my tool box, because the Iwatani likes to play hide and seek. Also I think the Searzall is just plain cumbersome as well.

Thanks again. I noticed the description of the TS-8000 says the flame is adjustable, but nowhere in the Searzall materials do they say what setting is optimal. Are you suggesting that minimum flame making it past the screens is better? Are there any situations where you are still getting torch taste?

Aloha,
Kaleo

Do you know if you can use this with an electric hand mixer, to prevent flour/cream/etc from flying all over the place? I saw one at ALDI’s recently advertised specifically for use with a hand mixer but it was sold out when I went back to purchase it.

It’s more adapted for microwave reheating. Also, it was some different sizes compartments if you want half of the boxes for salad and half for hot food, you can take the salad part out when you reheat the rest. It has sauce cups, small boxes for eggs, the fork, knifes and the chopsticks can be all stored in the box. Quite practical, and tiny improvement from the more traditional bento box, I would say.

I really don’t know since I haven’t played with adjusting it, something I would normally have done immediately, and I haven’t spoken to Dave in a year to ask him what he suggests. I spent most of 2016 disabled, at Dr.'s, in the hospital, or in bed. Only went out to get groceries/run errands. It was a lost year for me.

No, I just checked it on a 10" pot - it falls thru. My deep pasta pot is 9" across and it works perfectly. Also works on most of my saucepans. The brand on mine is Kuhn Rikon. It would be good if they made a larger size.

Don’t think this one would work for that purpose. I just use a piece of wax paper that I jam the mixer sticks through - works perfectly for whip cream. Otherwise my backslash would be a speckled mess.

Speedy recovery. 2016 sucked every which way. Have a better 2017!

I moved to a new apartment which has a less powerful stove making cooking less enjoyable… and there are other issue too. The kitchen itself is just not as well designed as the previous one.

I guess the biggest kitchen tool highlight I have is the Glestain Chef’s knife. Many foods which stick to the other knives do not stick to Glestain, which makes the food preparation a bit more streamlined and faster. I can dice a an entire tomato, and the tomato will pretty much stay in place.

I wrote a review a few months back.

Otherwise, there really aren’t many highlights… Since my new kitchen has lesser storage space and prep space, I bought an inexpensive ~$130 kitchen preparation which turned out pretty good for its price. I don’t know if it counts as a tool.

2 Likes

Beautiful cutting board!

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Use mine all the time, will never be without one. Love the ChopStir

1 Like