Kissabel apple uses?

I order Snapdragon apples online from a woman-owned orchard in NY, yesapples.com, and raved about the fruit on their FB page. Next thing I knew, they emailed asking me to evaluate an unnamed variety in development. They sent a 5# box, 9 apples. As I did for a personal project years ago, rating dozens of heirloom apples three ways: out of hand, baked apple, apple mini-galette. I sent thorough comments (I found them good in galettes - very firm, don’t discolor much. Okay by hand but no tartness at all. Almost styrofoam texture, and dry, as a bakedapple.
Despite my critique, they are now sending me a Frnch variety called Kissabel, which is quite flashy. A smaller number, I hope. At this rate I 'll repel all of my doctors!:grin: Anyone familiar with Kissabel who can recommend its best uses? TIA

4 Likes

I didn’t know you are an Apple Expert. Glad to know.

1 Like

Only insofar as my own palate is concerned. Expertise, not so much; opinions aplenty, though! I’m nuts about fruit. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

They’re very pretty! I’ve never heard of them so will be interested to hear what you have to say about them.

2 Likes

I got a sack of apples with red flesh some years back at an orchard in Western MA. They were phenomenal eaten out of hand, never tried cooking with them. Can’t wait tohear what you think of these!

1 Like

A dear friend used to live across the road from Applecrest Orchard and Farmstand in Exeter Falls NH. Her land was previously owned by the orchard, so it included a plot of apple trees that were left to their own reproductive whims for generations. They created a small, round, dark red apple with deep pink (not as deep as Kissabel) flesh. They had a short season and got mealy fast, so my friend used them for applesauce. Applecrest confirmed that it was a sport, not something they intentionally developed before selling the land.

2 Likes