Kintsugi 金継ぎ (Golden Joinery) Sharing

I suppose it also depends how the earthware is broken up. If it is just 2-5 major pieces vs scattering into 10+ little pieces.

I know the traditional kintsugi does not work on glass. By traditional, I mean using the urushi lacquer. However, the modern type (using glue) can work on glass, and there are special type of urushi that can work on glass.

2 Likes

Great to know, thanks!

Is this a hand painted plate? If so, even the cheapest ones (like replicates) are not that cheap. If it is a >80+ years old plate, then its price is even higher.

1 Like

Yes. Rose Medallion. I found a match of equal age. The cat never breaks the cheap stuff.

Man. You may as well get a tiger cub.

1 Like

It could ne like a little brother for my cat … until he got big and had the cat for a snack!

He pushed it off on a carpetted area but it must have hit something on the way down. It split into about 2-3 big pieces, so it would have been salvageable.

@Meekah - lol, was going to add a similar comment. My cat wasn’t sent to the beyond because of the cup…though I was quite mad at the time. I had so carefully tucked that into my luggage so it could come back with me in one piece from my trip to Japan. That cat had a happy, healthy 10 yrs after that incident until this spring. :pleading_face:

Handmade tea cup can be costly. Most of what I have seen here (made in Japan or made in USA) are at least $20 up but probably with averages about $40-50.

I have a tabletop for all my dparteds’ ashes. :crying_cat_face: don’t have a mantel.

All I am thinking is that… it will be so much cooler to tell you guest: “Oh, that broken plate? My pet tiger broke it when I was out shopping”

I agree.

Lol. And then Animal Control would be knocking on my front door …

This is a bit off topic, but I think this is a nice video.

Orangutan Babysits Tiger Cubs (AnimalsMedia.com) - YouTube

Awwww. I needed that!

[insert Carole Baskin / Tiger King joke]

I didn’t even know Carole Baskin. But I do know Mike Tyson had a tiger.

You must have missed the cultural phenomena that was “Tiger King” back at the beginning of the pandemic then. Brief summary: Crazy people with big cats and other exotic animals

I haven’t watched it, but I have definitely heard of it. I only know the Joe guy. I guess I didn’t know Carole and Joe are into this together. Thanks.

Ok. I overly sped up the previous kintsugi process for my gaiwan. I suspect that some steps were not properly cured, so the surface was not stable as it should. At the end, I reluctantly restarted the process. Here are some photos.

Scraped off the previous filling and revealing original chip (Figure 1 and 2)

Applied a new filling (Figure 3). Waited to dry and then scraped off excessive filling and sanded down the surface (Figure 4). Then reapplied another layer of filling, and sanded down again (no photo)

Applied a red urushi lacquer (Figure 5). Let the red lacquer to partially firm up for ~ 1 hour, and applied the gold powder while the lacquer was still soft. This time I chose a duller gold color powder. I think this gold color has a smoother and warmer look (no photo). Let it dried a little longer this time. Finished product (Figure 6-8)

I am still learning. Thanks for letting me to share.

6 Likes