Kewpie Mayo/Japanese mayo

What’s the attraction to it? It tastes “eggier” to me, in contrast to the regular stuff. Is that the feature or am I missing the draw?

In the better late than never department, I recently learned two things about Kewpie (which I’ve used for many years) that were new to me.

1. The reason it tasties eggier and richer is that it uses yolks only.
  2. The kewpie doll was named from a colloquial misspelling of Cupid. It DOES shoot an amorour arrow into one’s taste buds! :grin:
3 Likes

Don’t even get me started on Kewpie available in Minnesota. :rage:

1 Like

Really? What’s wrong with it (serious question, no snark).

I only ask because my mom is a huge fan of the Kewpie sold at Costco.

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 12.13.16 PM

2 Likes

It’s because of the added MSG (or yeast extract).

1 Like

:blush:

Nothing wrong with it at all. I am a fan of the mayo. It’s just the version I can buy in my area does not contain MSG. Others in the US can buy with MSG but not me. FML!!

:smirk:

1 Like

Well, egg yolks themselves have glutamate … so it’s not exactly accurate to say that your local Kewpie does not contain MSG.

Well, not to be nit picky but I actually said MSG is not added.

Glutamate is an amino acid and MSG the additive is the concentrated sodium salt of glutamate acid. They aren’t the same.

2 Likes

I find Kewpie mayo too sweet.

3 Likes

The one with MSG

2 Likes

correction: amorous

I have not seen that (nor have I been to Costco too much this year) so I googled the image. Is that the kewpie dressing?

1 Like

yup

2 Likes

:triumph::pleading_face:

1 Like

Never knew this existed. WOOT!!!

1 Like

Just ordered it via Amazon. $12+ for the 30oz bottle. I’m sure it’s cheaper at Costco but they don’t offer it online, and my only way to shop in person requires Uber or Lyft.

1 Like

I hope you like it.

My mom considers it the nectar of the gods.

She makes a rather outrageous toast with Sesame Kewpie, Avocado, Sliced Tomatoes, Almond Butter and a bit of Chinese Pork Floss. It’s like a blast of umami followed by a wave of umami.

6 Likes

Costco run today.

1 Like

It IS terrific! Who needs marinara when you can sauce your pasta with sesame?

2 Likes

Just between you and me, Kewpie Mayo is great in brownies, and if you like grilled cheese sandwiches, then a good smear of Kewpie in your grilled cheese will make you reconsider what the term “heavenly” really means.

2 Likes