Keurig for Beer

Ok, I know that there isn’t much information about the concept/protocol. Still, what do you think of an easy-to-use individual beer machine?

‘The companies [Keurig and Anheuser-Busch] said Friday that they’re launching a joint venture. The plan is to create an appliance that can churn out “beer, spirits, cocktails and mixers” at home, according to a press release.’

‘It’s [Keurig] partnering with Anheuser-Busch InBev on developing an “in-home alcohol drink system”’

(not sure how it is like compared to the PicoBrew. Maybe even faster?)

Putting the environmental impact of single serve products aside - I think it is a clever idea. Single serve coffee is huge so this is a smart extension.

There are several things that I drink rarely enough that I might think about something like this (tonic comes to mind first - I don’t use it often so even when I want it I often don’t have it at home).

The big hurdle will be can they do this with a quality product. I’m not sure if the hard core cocktail crowd will be willing to sacrifice quality for convenience. And I’m not sure casual drinkers will be willing to pay for something that they don’t use that often to begin with …

That said I’m curious enough to see what develops.

The idea of a pre mixed beer syrup sounds perfectly awful to me.

Therefore a big eeuuuw! (@NotJrvedivici)

How could that possibly be fresh tasting?

Of course if you drink AB products to begin with it may not matter.

1 Like

I am thinking there is a narrower space to operate here. In the case of coffee, a single-serve machine offers something relative good (maybe not as good as coffee shops) and convenient. Fresh coffee means a lot for people. Now, beer is different. So clearly the new Keurig machine is nothing like a true home brew. Yet, it probably does not offer much convenient here. Anyone can buy and store a couple bottles/cases of beer.

We will see what market it is shooting for.

It’s going to be like the Jetson’s a beer pill that gets hydrated in the machine and poof a full glass of beer.

1 Like

Agreed - i have serious doubts but curious to follow what they do.

There are a lot of places (where I used to live in Columbus Ohio) that sell “growlers” of beer out of taps, I don’t drink it fast enough (typically) to make that a worth while option - it goes flat. I know they sell those “mini kegs” type things (not in the beer I like) and I grew up with neighbors who had a converted fridge in their house for a keg (with the tap in the door). So if they can figure it out . . . . who knows what could happen.

I was more focused on the “cocktail, spirits, and mixers” portion (more what i drink now). I’m still not sold - alcohol doesn’t go bad, so not sure the issue there. But I was thrilled when my favorite vermouth was available in a smaller bottle. though I have my doubts if I’ll love an “instant vermouth” (for example) as much as even my 2 month old bottle in the fridge . . . . .

1 Like

Kinda like when Henry took care of ole Uniblab?

1 Like

You know I think I’ve seen something like this before…

Love that cravat.

I have a feeling this is a technology looking for a market.

I can just imagine the conversation with the new products manager at Keurig.

“So what are we gonna do with the failed home soda machine that we invested all that money in?”

“Gee, I don’t know, what else is carbonated that you can drink?”

“Yeah, yeah, Bud drinkers, that’s the ticket. If they drink Bud, they’ll drink anything…”

1 Like

True.

Yes. The primary use of the Keurig type machines seems to be offices and workplaces where one person wants coffee, another tea, another decaf green tea, etc.etc.

I can’t think of many workplace type settings where you’d have use for a choose your own booze machine.

The teachers’ lounge? church?

2 Likes

Everyone’s a winner…

Not only that, but people are used to putting something in and pulling a lever.

So far there isn’t enough released information to talk about what it is exactly that it does/makes. And the legality of it in various areas. Just the thought of shelf stable concentrates made by AB, and I cringe. But, I have tasted shelf stable concentrates/syrups in similar lines, made by small companies, that are excellent. I don’t think it’s going to be a long term successful product. Unless it comes out cheaper per serving than typical American rice beers like bud, etc, then the younger bud drinkers may go for it. For a short period of time.

In a similar vein, years ago a restaurant opened in White Plains, NY called Scarlett’s Crossing. It was supposed to have a southern bent. The owner made the mistake of installing robotic cocktail machines at the bar. All the bartender had to do was press a button and your whiskey sour was automatically mixed for you. The barkeep just delivered it. Of course, with the human element lost, it did not make for a popular happy hour, or popular bar either…I don’t believe they lasted a year.

Bugger - i have been telling my wife a Growler is a single serve. One for me one for her…

1 Like

Back in Wisconsin in the old days they used to call this a beer pail.

Every German American family had one.

1 Like