Katz's Grill (Highlands, NJ)

I shared this review on the Highlands Facebook today and it exploded. There have been a lot of locals attacking me, but I must say, most of the comments have been in agreement.

I have been to this place three times. The first two have been in the mornings on our way to the beach. Justin and I have both enjoyed their coffee and breakfast sandwiches—a toasted, buttered roll for me, in particular. It was actually after the second visit a few months ago that I wanted to write a humorous tribute to the glory of the Katz’s Grill buttered roll, because it was just that good. There was something about throwing it on the flat top and letting it slowly toast that set it apart from the usual. Well, unfortunately for them, it slipped my mind and I did not get a chance to write something. Our third visit last week would be the ringer I needed.

On the same day we went to Bay Avenue Bakery and Cafefor a quick lunch, our first stop was actually Katz’s. We originally wanted to grab sandwiches to-go and then hit Popamora Point. We walked in and I placed my order of a simple turkey sub. The lady behind the counter was wreaking of cigarettes (and had two open packs on the prep counter right next to ingredients). She was not mean, but looked like a tough cookie who could kick anyone’s ass in a street fight. She also looked as if she wanted to be anywhere else. I thought, perhaps, I had walked into the DMV. She had just finished ringing someone up before I ordered. Having handled the money with her hands, she then proceeded to make my sandwich. She turned and grabbed the bread without ever putting on gloves (located in close proximity to her Marlboro Reds). She cut it open, squeezed about a pint of mayo onto the bread (a nauseating amount) and then added each ingredient by digging her hands into the bins of the turkey (which she sliced), lettuce, tomato, etc, and quite literally threw them onto the roll as if she was mad at it.

|620x514

Photo from Google Maps. I did not take any pictures on this visit and I am searching for one from earlier visits.

I was so shocked that I didn’t say anything. Justin, who works in the food industry himself, was disgusted. For me, it wasn’t even about the gloves—just wash your damn hands for 10 seconds! Even if only to give the illusion of cleanliness! When it came time to order, he wanted nothing. I paid and we walked out. Having gotten about ten feet out of the deli and still debating internally on if I even wanted the sandwich, something just did not sit right with me. I should have spoken up and just canceled the order, but it was too late now. In one of my personal worst moments of wasting money (and food, for what it was worth), I headed for the garbage can and lofted this $6.99 boat anchor into the trash. I had a few minutes to look around as she prepared, and given the cleanliness of the place, her dirty, tobacco-infused hands may be the least of their problems.

A buttered roll or an egg sandwich, they do well. But this experience was enough to ensure that I will never visit again. Justin is usually more vocal than me, and admits that either him or I should have said something. The fact that I wasted the money is on me entirely. The fact that I had to sit down and write this is on them. 1.5 out of 5 stars , and that is only because of the two positive visits before this one.

Originally posted here in my food blog.

2 Likes

Man you just described every deli of my youth in the 70’s!! You should have ordered the sub with a side of fresh scraped paint chips and a Mountain Dew!

3 Likes

If you gave 1.5 stars to food you threw away…
I wonder what 0 stars gets?

5 Likes

Wow. Can you post some of the comments or snap a few screen shots from FB?

1 Like

Reeking of cigarettes.

Thanks

2 Likes

The breakfast sandwiches on previous visits were not bad, hence a 1.5. And the lowest I go is 1, not 0. Not yet anyway.

2 Likes

I’ll try. Just worried about last names.

Several mentions of an"angry Dotty" on yelp

1 Like

LOL that be her!

1 Like

lol, a couple of the comments :rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

There are a couple of group photos on their FB wall, I kind of think I can pick out the offender … she does appear to have a permanent natural resting scowl face.

1 Like

Wow, this lady is going to be famous…the judge Judy of highlands

2 Likes

I think you can probably use the windows snip tool or download Jing for free. I use that at work.

Someone even posted a picture of her on Instagram locations. She looks like hell on wheels and the caption is “Don’t go when she’s working there”

1 Like

Have you been here? Those pretzels caught my eye on Google

Et al fine food
71 Waterwitch Ave, Highlands, NJ 07732
(848) 300-2076

https://maps.app.goo.gl/FVPfmJEyZSeP61E26

I’ve been to Et Al twice. Both times, the experience was just odd. When four of us were looking for a place for breakfast, we peaked in. When we asked about breakfast, the female employee said we could order what we wanted. The menu lists juice, teas, and baked goods but no breakfast items. The entrees came out one at a time, with a lag between each one. Getting the check and attempting to pay and leave took an endlessly long time because she was so flaky…talking about random things the whole time. Couldn’t seem to focus on a singular task. It was so frustrating that three of us left and waited in the car.

They had delicious homemade potato chips in bags for sale so the DH and I went back to buy some. The same employee was there. It took her a ridiculously long time to weigh them, package them, and ring me up. With PTSD from last time, I avoided engaging in small talk. I was tempted by homemade ginger cookies displayed at counter. We were the only people in the place so I boldly asked for a cookie to go. As she was packaging the cookie, a family with small children came in. She stopped taking care of me and began offering cookie samples, which were plainly displayed in a basket, to the children and talking at length with the parents about a festival that would be in the park across the street at some future weekend. I stood there stunned for what seemed like forever. The family left and she returned her attention to me. Speechless, I just shook my head, paid for my cookie finally, and left. My husband, who had evacuated in disgust to the car again, said “What the heck took you so long?”

The food in the display counter looks good. There’s an awful lot of prepared food considering how empty the place was when we visited. I’m not against going back, but if we see the same employee and she’s the only one working the FOH, I’m outta there.

1 Like

Have not been there, but enjoyed the food at Water Witch Coffee located next door.

1 Like

So,

HODown at Katz’s Grill?

2 Likes

Interesting. This place really isn’t my style but that Tuscan sub looks pretty tasty on paper. The pics of the pretzels caught my eye while searching for something else so maybe I will get down there soon and try that sub out.