Kansas City, not barbecue

Of course I’ll be eating barbecue in KC, and have reviewed recommendations, we will also want a non-barbecue meal, possibly near the WWI museum, maybe one near the art Museum or the Truman Library in Independence. Probably something on the lighter side, which usually means Greek, Thai, or seafood, but we’re pretty open to other options, and one of us can backslide and eat another heavy meal. We’ll be staying in/near the Country Club area, but will are willing to drive.

thanks

3 Likes

Everyone has a barbecue list. Our approach to KC kept to the “When in Rome . . .” creed, so we went after steak a bit South of you:

1 Like

BoneAppetite, that looks good! If we have steak, it’ll be there. thanks!

RC’s Chicken is on the left side of the road going to Jess and Jim’s, I think run by the same people. It’s fried chicken but they do have a lunch menu. Right across the railroad tracks is the OG location of Jack Stack BBQ. All 3 of these are in Martin City, which is 20 minutes from the Plaza. Martin City brewery features a “Coast to Coast” menu that includes an oyster flight. It’s between RC’s and Jess and Jim’s.

1 Like

Not much near the Country Club area except for chain restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang’s etc.

Got to head north, and maybe try Clay & Fire or the Antler Room

Websites checked: RC and Jess+Jim’s are very related now. And both list fried livers and gizzards.

1 Like

Took a bit of memory searching. We’ll dangle this one out there. Couple people we know grew up on this fare, along with Arthur Bryant’s.

1 Like

I’d forgotten about Winstead’s. Of course, it’s been over 40 years. I wasn’t that impressed at the time, but maybe.

Well for the Country Club area (very close) you can always get the ham or turkey sandwich and onion rings at LC’s and not get BBQ. Don’t know anyone that has ever done that tho!

“Well for the Country Club area (very close) you can always get the ham or turkey sandwich and onion rings at LC’s and not get BBQ. Don’t know anyone that has ever done that tho!”

Hmm. I suppose it’s theoretically possible …

Well there’s always the BBQ portion of your tour! You need a second stomach.

Have fun.

I think I would be pretty happy with just some onion rings and a tub of their potato salad, and just call it a day. Oh, and a slice of peach cobbler.

might as well just get some burnt ends and ribs for later!

I can’t wait to return.

Oh, and a slice of peach cobbler.

might as well just get some burnt ends and ribs for later!

I like the way y’all think

1 Like

what’s on your hitlist for Q?

> what’s on your hitlist for Q?

Char Bar
Q39
few other possibilities, but my Friday dinner companion will probably rewrite things

awesome! please do share a report of that. I’m envious. Haven’t been to either spot but heard good things! I’ve toured the world and elsewhere (as Derek Smalls once said) but the meals i crave most are in in KC. It’s the paris of something awesome. I’m a superfan of LC’s in case you haven’t noticed - man what I would give to have those fine people doing their thing here in LA. And I get it there are a ton of men and women reaching that level there too.

PS don’t sleep on tailgating action BBQ at arrowhead if there’s a game there when you’re around. That was some epic generosity and fun. Cigars, shots, ribs, all sorts of amazement and culinary creativity. Another thing I notice about KC when I go there are all the metals drums and other large scale BBQ equipment in folks’ front and back yards everywhere. No coincidence the Q is the best there is. Sorry to fuck up your not bbq thread! it’s the elephant in the room!

Burnt end burgers!

Nearest bbq place to the airport for your drive.
If I understand correctly you’re immediately heading north to the big O.
I’ll work on your return to KC :wink:

https://history.army.mil/museums/TRADOC/frontier-army-museum/index.html
You probably don’t have time but Ft. Leavenworth has a cool museum.