Junk Food , snacks , fast foods reviews

For those who do not know, this is a pretty comprehensive review site of snack food from around the world.

2 Likes

ā€¦ whoa.

I really love French fries, I donā€™t know if they are fast foods or junk foods but they are my favorites. The snacks are always cookies that I will choose at any time of the day so long as I need to eat something.

I wish someone hadnā€™t told me about these Zappā€™s Voodoo seasoned pretzel sticks. Good god theyā€™re good.

5 Likes

Interesting. I see they sell them at my local Giant . . . will have to keep them in mind for my next order.

Thatā€™s where I found mine; there was a TINY section in the huge snacks aisle for them. A friend in Florida mentioned them to me and I sought them out here in PA. It was an expensive bag (apparently you get 2 for $6 by her; I paid $6 for one. )

Yes I see theyā€™re $6.29 here, but Giant has Utz BOGO at least once a month.

1 Like

Zappā€™s makes good stuff. Had a bag at Potbellyā€™s the other day.

I tried Utz cheese popcorn a few months ago. Ho-hum. Not enough cheesiness. Where I live Old Dutch (Minnesota) is the cheese popcorn to eat. Most Utz products are pretty decent though. I was disappointed in the chz popcorn, though.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been seeing these and their pretzel siblings everywhere, so I succumbed and bought a bag.

Basically: Very crunchy original Cheetos with a HUGE whack of salt and MSG and a pinch of something spicy and slightly smoky.

I can see why theyā€™re stocked at liquor stores. As bar snacks, these would have you reaching for your glass IMMEDIATELY, the salt content is so high. a ā€˜single servingā€™ (roughly a handful) has a whopping 450mg (20% USRDA) of sodium. I say that as if I know thatā€™s high compared to, say, regular cheetos or other snacks. I donā€™t. But it seems like a lot and it certainly TASTES like a WHOLE LOT.

Iā€™m not so big on the spicy snacks (I will politely decline ā€˜Flaminā€™ Hotā€™ anythying, thank you), though these arenā€™t offensively hot. And the saltiness means a single handful is often QUITE enough, so in that respect, these are probably healthier for me. I simply would NEVER mindless crush a bag.

Verdict: Too salty. Otherwise, the spice and smokiness arenā€™t terrible. Will likely not buy again. This also makes me much less willing to spring for a bag of the pretzels, as I get the feeling that particular salt/smoke/spice combo is somewhat of a brand ā€˜thingā€™.

2 Likes

I inhaled a box of cheddar ranch cheez-its in 2 sittings earlier this week. A bag of Bunny Munch over 12 h. A bag of upscale small batch pretzels over 12 h the week before last.

I donā€™t know where the willpower I had as a teenager went. Iā€™m getting to the point where Iā€™ll only buy junk food when company is coming.

1 Like

Talenti Double Cookie Crunch Dairy-Free Gelato

This was surprisingly very good.

Velvety smooth like dairy based gelato (or even ice creams) and not grainy like most non-dairy based frozen treats, tasted more like chocolate than cookie crunch.

2 Likes

More absurd humor than straight-ahead snack reviews. I really enjoy his Substack columns, though I would totally get if this is not your cup of tea, or in this case your Shamrock Shake.

3 Likes

Jeniā€™s Ted Lasso Ice Cream

This is supposed to be sweet cream ice cream mixed with shortbread bits and a touch of sea salt.

In real life, this to me just tastes like cold salted butter. Hard pass. Hard cold pass.

3 Likes

I had to track down this thread since I finally tried the Voodoo Pretzel Stix. As you say, theyā€™re pricey (about $6 a bag) but Giant had their Utz line BOGO and I was having family over. Funny, I didnā€™t care for them at allā€“a tad too sweet and not as spicy as I expected. Most of my family thought they were the best pretzels ever and my sister quickly snapped up the second bag to take home. :person_shrugging:t2: I guess thatā€™s why God invented chocolate and vanilla?

4 Likes

Why are the imported snacks always so damned pricey?! Anyway, discovered these at the 99 Ranch the other day:

These are all basically the same thing: a version of the fried noodle bricks that come with your instant ramen packs with the flavor powder baked right on. The large bag contains unbroken ā€˜sheetsā€™, so they eat like chips, while the small bags are full of little sticklets. The flavor differences consist of slight variations to the basic MSG base, which is fine (thereā€™s an additional ā€˜chickenā€™ flavor that I neglected to photograph). Both form factors deliver seriously satisfying crunch, and the sticklets perform an extra duty as a great addition to salads as a sub for fried wonton strips or croutons or the like.

10/10 - will buy again, even at import prices.

3 Likes

Now, thereā€™s absolutely nothing wrong with standard-issue Sour Cream and Onion flavored chips. They are a beloved favorite for good reason. Do we NEED a very slightly different onion chip?

Yes. Yes, we do. Well, I do, anyway. I love the onion-powder hit of Funyuns, and these manage to keep a slightly softer version of that flavor without the muting and sweetening effect of the ā€˜sourcreamā€™ milk powder on other chips. And they also manage to be not too salty. I mean, theyā€™re chips, so thereā€™s way more sodium than any sane person should probably have, but as these things go, theyā€™re not bad in that department.

Iā€™d been clued in to the existence of these several YEARS ago, but have never seen them in the wild 'til very recently. A welcome surprise. Will buy again.

5 Likes

Now I have another thing to add to my ā€œwatchā€ list . . . and an itch for a good bag of Funyuns (weā€™ve been estranged for far too long).

Well, sunflower seeds are certainly my favorite junk foodā€“I go through about 2 or 3 pounds (in the shell) a week. What I canā€™t figure out is how they consider beef jerky (NM) junk food.

1 Like

I often wondered why people bought those small packets of unshelled sunflower seeds. All that wear and tear on their teeth for very little meat. And then spitting the shells out. When it comes to shells, Iā€™ll take a pistachio any day of the week.

1 Like

No kidding ā€“ that stuff is solid protein. I miss it greatly ā€“ being concentrated meat, it triggers my gout pretty reliably.

1 Like