June 2019 openings and closings [Boston and New England]

And the reason I have a gift card is that the one time I bought a pastry there, it was woefully underbaked and they were terribly apologetic and gave me a gift card as well as refunding my purchase. The coffees I had several times were excellent, so I am sad to see them close. They did have a parking lot in the back, which I didn’t realize until about my 3rd visit.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear this, too. I went several times, so do not carry the enormous guilt that burdens some of you, and I enjoyed most things there. I did notice on my most recent visit about 4 weeks ago that their breakfast offerings were reduced. That was probably a bad sign.

NOOOO!!!

Dammit I’ve been so distracted with my parents’ health issues that I didn’t even notice that my most beloved food place in Arlington has closed. We’ve been avoiding pizza since my dad is a type two diabetic who loves pizza and all things carb.

I moved them down to my brother’s in NY 2 weekends ago. And we were away this past weekend at Wilco’s music festival out in North Adams so I was very unaware of the closing this past weekend. Otherwise I would’ve been there, drinking their surplus beer and wine, eating pizza, and shaking my booty and helping them party.

We head out of town again tomorrow… Heading to the Azores on Saturday but spending some time with family and friends in Greenwich/Mamaroneck beforehand (we’re flying out of JFK).

Honestly I can’t even think straight given this news. Truly threw me for a loop. Dammit.

1 Like

Grainmaker opened in the former Amsterdam Falafel space in Davis Square. I haven’t been yet, but the menu looks tasty and healthy.

Hope that your trip serves as consolation for the closure of your favorite pizza place. Excited for your adventure to the Azores (never been and it’s on my I-want-to-go list). Happy travels.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you are so unhappy about Commune Kitchen but have a fabulous trip!! Can’t wait to read your trip report!

2 Likes

Sending best wishes to your entire family with the health issues and to your spring onion. Have a great time in the Azores…hope it is restoring, sounds wonderful.

1 Like

Oh, digga, you certainly have a lot going on, and to lose a beloved and comfortable home is painful. I’d been to Commune a few times and really liked it, but wasn’t there enough to feel like family. My husband and I still feel tinges of grief when we pass by the old Emma’s Pizza spot in Cambridge. We liked the pizza, but the staff felt like family. We vicariously witnessed weddings, births and deaths and felt out of sorts for a long time when they closed. Let’s hope something new and wonderful (and local) comes up for these folks.
Have a magical time in the Azores!

4 Likes

We had some friends over for dinner last night. We started talking about various vacations and locations. The told us that the Azores was their favorite, and the only location they would consider returning to.

3 Likes