June 2019 openings and closings [Boston and New England]

It’s a sad blow to my innocence and youthful idealism, but you – bear – are absolutely right. That’s indeed the dread BH logo on the page you link to. I join you in your sigh.

GretchenS – you’re off the hook. I was going to have my billing service charge you $50 (+ $2.50 convenience charge) for my tasting their pastrami for you , but never mind.

3 Likes

Well, at least GretchenS isn’t out $52.50. Sorry for the disillusionment, fd.

1 Like

You are right - Boar’s Head - lost any interest to test out any sandwich from them. Why are so many delis etc using this low quality crap ?

Don’t mean to take this off tangent, but Is Boars Head bad deli meat? I only buy deli meat like 1 or 2x every 5 years, but I don’t recall their stuff being awful. I thought it to be a big improvement over some of the stuff I’ve had from other markets. I am a big fan of their hot dogs though - it’s really the only brand I buy.

1 Like

I think Boar’s Head is fine as a generic deli meat. I got a pretty tasty pastrami with swiss and dijon on an Iggy’s french roll from Idylwilde Farm in Acton a while ago (don’t shoot me!) and really enjoyed it. In my mind, it’s just more for a quick takeout sandwich or something you’d throw together at home, and not something worth going out of my way for.

3 Likes

That, exactly!!

3 Likes

I agree, as well. It’s fine for what it is, and if that’s all that’s available BH makes a respectable sandwich. But, I wouldn’t go out of my way to Avenue Deli in Watertown, if BH is what they mainly offer.

2 Likes

I can only speak for me but I find BH really bad in terms of taste/flavor and would never use it at home and it is a reason to not go to a restaurant/deli/shop who uses it. I prefer to eat something which doesn’t have such an artificial taste.

2 Likes

Avenue Kitchen and Bar is open in the former Pescatore space in Ball Square, Somerville. Tough opening location with the bridge construction but when I walked by on Friday night, they were packed. I always forget about their lovely patio, so add it to your lists for possible outdoor dining.

2 Likes

What’s this trend with every replacement joint being called “Avenue” something? What’s wrong with Street, Lane, Alley, or best of all, Cul de Sac?

1 Like

I refused to eat cold cuts of any kind for years, until our area finally started getting some seriously good charcuterie. The Italian sandwich at Semolina kitchen in Medford, we love; it’s part of Dave’s Fresh Pasta in Somerville. I can’t eat Boars Head stuff (and yes, I guess it is better than your average supermarket “cold cuts”) except when I’m desperate (special needs kid, have to go somewhere really close to home).

Well, Milk Steet cafe and catering (kosher, excellent food for everybody when I last tried it decades ago) existed for years on Milk St in Boston, the Chris Kimball was forced to leave and decamped to a new operation he calls Milk Street. I must be out of it because out don’t recall many replacement restaurants being called “Avenue” after Deuxave did it in Back Bay until this/these Avenue Delis.

I was joking about the new Avenue Kitchen plus this Avenue Deli.

We have lots of places that move, yet hang on to their old names. "Craigie on Main"must surely confuse people who know Cambridge streets but don’t know the history of the restaurant. In New York, the great Sullivan St. Bakery moved from Sullivan Street in the West Village to the western edges of Hell’s Kitchen, but kept the name.

1 Like

Commune Kitchen is closing

1 Like

Brothers Kouzina in Peabody starts is transformed into a marijuana dispensary at the end of the month.

According to Marc Hurwitz and Eater, Commune will be replaced by Breadboard from Clearflour alum Daisy Chow. I guess she’s been doing popups at Cutty’s and other places and has been well-received.

2 Likes

Are they reopening somewhere else? I keep meaning to go get their lamb shank that you have written about so compellingly.

Yes the sign said that they are looking.

1 Like

Noca Provisions on Rindge Ave in North Cambridge has apparently closed. I am particularly bummed as I have a gift card with a balance from them. I wonder if it was the location and lack of foot traffic?

I did read somewhere that it was closing and failed to post it, sorry! Yes, location, lack of foot traffic, difficulty parking. Very sad I never got there and then I remind myself that if I haven’t supported it with my $$ I have no right to be sad!