June 2017 Home Cooking DOTM - GRILLING/SMOKING

I sous vide tough cuts. It makes a huge difference when thrown on the grill.

I had heard all the chatter, but until I actually put a London broil in the sous vide, I thought it was just trend-of-the-day talk. It was tender and juicy, and after a hard grill, pretty perfect.

How long and how warm do you sous vide before throwing on the grill? I am guessing you pretty much just brown on the grill since the inside is cooked already?

Hm, I don’t normally think of skirt steak as a tough cut, as long as it’s sliced appropriately. Still, it’s worth a shot.

Did some indoor grilling last night due to rain - broke in my new smaller skewers with flank steak kebabs. Very thinly sliced flank steak marinated in fresh garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne, lemon juice, soy sauce and olive oil, then threaded onto skewers and cooked for just 1 minute or so per side, very hot and fast. They didn’t need a sauce, but some tzatziki would have gone well! Served with a side of pan roasted Brussels sprouts, which were probably the last ones we’ll have until fall. You can get them year round now but I find they taste a little gamey in the summer.

1 Like

Sous vide steak light reading: Serious Eats, Chefsteps, Sansaire.

1 Like

Two hours at 140 F, pat the meat dry and then a quick, hard sear on the grill (or cast iron).

never had problem with Costco’s skirt steak
Have you tried Kenji’s recipe? That would be marinading it for 3-10 hours with soy sauce, lime juice etc?

I usually marinade almost 24 hours.

More flank steak skewers tonight, this time marinated in minced ginger and garlic, soy sauce, mirin, sriracha, rice vinegar and some jalapeno powder for a little extra spice. Super delicious. The small amount of sugar in the mirin helped the meat char quickly so it had awesome crispy edges while staying tender. Green salad alongside, was too lazy to make anything more elaborate.

Ccj, I haven’t tried Kenjis recipe but I will have a look!

3 Likes

I put my new Weber kettle grill together today, but it was soooooooooo hot outside, I couldn’t bear to go out and use it! So I stayed in the AC and used my stovetop grill pan for chicken thigh kebabs. Marinated the meat briefly in olive oil, wine vinegar, dill, coriander, allspice and lots of black pepper. Tasty combo with pan roasted cherry tomatoes and a preserved lemon mayo sauce for dipping.

4 Likes

I woke up this morning at about 6 a.m. and it was so beautiful outside, blue skies, birds chirping, sunshine everywhere.

I had half a baguette, so I sliced it up, fired up the grill, made some nice charred toast, drenched it in olive oil, added a handful of beautiful mixed lettuces, and then draped some smoked trout and anchovies on my little crostini.

I love summer.

7 Likes

I see you have Agostino Recca anchovies . My favorite .

1 Like

Yes yes yes :heart:

Forgot to post my grilled turbot here so here we go.

My biggest turbot thus far, 1.5kg.

Roe attached half was done in the oven the day before, this half went on the Weber the next day.

As wide as the grill grate!

2 Likes

Finally got down to some grillin’ yesterday. Had a lb each of scallops and monkfish in hand from a local fish share.

Marinated the scallops briefly in a vitamixed juice of garlic, ginger and lemon, then skewered them and grilled sprinkled with salt and pepper on charcoal. Served on a bed of faintly pickled cucumbers, shallots and jalapeno (shocked with ice water, then “pickled” for a few hours in the fridge with sugar, salt, rice wine vinegar).

Coated the monkfish (cut into chunks) with a green chutney of garlic, ginger, green thai chilies, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Let sit for 30 minutes before skewering and grilling.

Also made some beef kebabs. Toasted some coriander and cumin seeds, black peppercorn, cardamom pods and cloves, coarsely ground the toasted spices and mixed with a little of the green chutney that I’d made for the monkfish. Added coarsely chopped shallots, jalapeno, then lightly mixed with ground beef and a bit more salt. Formed into rough ovals, then grilled on charcoal.

5 Likes

Those marinades sound excellent - I will be copying you soon! The beef sounds especially delicious.

Chicken quarter smoked then grilled on my pellet stove . Dry rubbed with Harissa and salt. Mixed green salad with olive oil and red wine vinegar . Wine to drink::wine_glass: cheers

3 Likes

It was a hot one here today, so I decided to fire up the smoker and keep the heat outside! I smoked three racks of St. Louis-cut pork ribs using half pecan, half hickory. My smoker is too small to fit a full rack of ribs without cutting it, so I generally cut racks in half and put the thicker halves on for an hour or so before adding the thinner halves. This works really well in terms of getting the entire rack cooked to the same doneness level - I would probably cut them in half even if I had a bigger smoker.

Anyway, they got about 3-3.5 hours of smoke at 235, with 7 hours total cooking time for the thick parts (6ish for the thinner halves). Normally I set my smoker at 225, but I got a late start today so I bumped it up just a bit. I prefer the lower temp, although the higher temp did give me nice bark. These were very tender but just the tiniest bit dry, and the meat came off the bone with almost no resistance (I prefer just a little chew/tug to get them off the bone). I usually use all pecan for pork ribs but the hickory was nice - slightly more intense, and it gave the bark a very deep color.

My rub was salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dry mustard, cumin, jalapeno powder and a pinch of cinnamon. Usually I add chili powder as well, but I ran out and forgot to buy more on my last shopping trip. With this rub I find sauce unnecessary, but DH likes it, so I keep a bottle of Stubb’s spicy in the house for him. Tofu mac and cheese was the lone side dish, for a very low carb meal!

4 Likes

Quick carne asada, to be served with flour tortillas and pico de gallo, and yellow rice, melons, and strawberries.

3 Likes

Nice …

Nice! Any interior pictures of the meat, or is it now all in your interior?