June 2016, Boston and assorted areas. Openings and Closings!

I’ll post my chowhound response to Ferrari’s post about Commune Kitchen here:

I stopped in today for the first time. The porchetta tartine was very tasty and just the right size for a satisfying light lunch. It had broccoli rabe, aged provolone, dijon and pickled fennel on a thin, crusty slice of whole wheat (?) sour dough. The pork seemed to be loin or tenderloin as opposed to a slow-cooked shoulder. It was tender and moist.

People were super friendly. It’s an order-at-the-counter place and they bring the food out to you. The house baked goods, including a chocolate croissant and an intriguing lemon croissant, looked quite good. Coffee was fine if a little weak for my taste. They also have espresso drinks and were featuring strawberry basil lemonade. The individual pizzas looked quite tasty with thin centers and puffy edges.

2 Likes

In very welcome news Cambridge Day reports that Rialto will be replaced with a new (still announced) restaurant operated independently of the Charles Hotel.

They also report that there will now be a winters farmers market in Charles Square where the ice rink used to be in the hotel courtyard.

Rialto certainly went out with a whimper. We were on the way back from an early gathering in the square on Saturday night and wanted a bite to eat and some more drinks. We were going to stop in at Alden & Harlow, but had the idea for one last Rialto bar meal instead. It was the worst experience I have had in some time. We thought it might be busy for the final weekend, but quite the opposite. It was quite clear that Jody Adams must have abandoned Rialto some time ago as food and service was disgraceful. Clearly one of the bartenders had called in sick or already moved on. The single bartender was demonstratively unhappy trying to serve the few bar patrons and dining room tickets. There was open snippiness between the staff. The bartender made a face when my wife returned her drink because the ginger beer used was dead flat. The shrimp was overcooked to the point of being inedible, arctic char was equally salty and inedible. We were shocked, knowing how Rialto was Adams’ baby and life’s work. I used to have an office on the same floor as Jody in Charles Square, so I know she was always planning during the day and in the kitchen by night. Maybe there was some falling out with the hotel but it is really too bad she let the restaurant go out on such a sour note. I expected there might be a crowd of regulars invited for one last hurrah, but I suppose this was over romantic.
Coughlin’s Law: everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn’t end…

1 Like

Eater reports that Little Donkey could open in the next 3 weeks. http://boston.eater.com/2016/6/23/12013284/little-donkey-cambridge-10-facts

It’s all coming up Cambridge.

el madina on squire road in revere has closed

Eater reports “Giulia Owner Michael Pagliarini Will Open Benedetto in the Rialto Space”

Welp…couldn’t have asked for much better news than this concerning the Rialto replacement. Between this and the upcoming restaurant from the Row 34 / ICOB team, HSQ is getting a huge upgrade and in high end options.

2 Likes

Oh, I so agree. Great news indeed.

1 Like

the original owners of the southeast asian restaurant (and spiceventure food truck) have opened a new buffet style restaurant called thips kitchen inside the old american textile museum building on dutton street in lowell

2 Likes

Just saw the news that Benedetto won’t reopen after their hibernation even though the restaurant owners were planning by the end of thismonth as their lease was just terminated - not really great support from the landlord

2 Likes