July-August 2022 COTM: FLAVORS OF THE SUN

LAYERED BULGUR, FENNEL, AND MINT SALAD WITH PINE NUTS - p. 118

I can’t have bulgur, so had to adapt this recipe. I used quinoa instead, and I went ahead and cooked it, so I didn’t have the softening process that Valadelphi describes above. Because of this, I reduced the lemon juice and olive oil in the recipe by half. I kept all the other quantities in the dressing the same. Because I didn’t need to soften bulgur, I also skipped the layering and resting, and just tossed everything together. Even with the reduction in the amount of dressing, my version of the salad was a bit overdressed. It seemed to go from underdressed to over very quickly. I would reduce the dressing to 1/3 of the original next time (once again keeping seasonings at full amount). It was still a good salad, and I’d happily repeat. For pic see my report on the bold and spicy hummus from p. 156.

6 Likes

September COTM announcement:

1 Like

DOUBLE CHERRY RICE PUDDING P. 326
Rice, milk, sugar, mahlab and salt are cooked until it starts to thicken. Milk and egg are combined and added to the rice mixture along with dried cherries. Cook until thick and creamy. I didn’t love this and I didn’t hate it. I think slivered almonds would be a good addition. The mahlab is a new flavor for me and maybe it will grow on me. I am interested to know if anyone else has used mahlab before.

I used it in a biscotti recipe. I can’t remember if I was wowed, I’ll have to see if I made any notes on the recipe. Someone on Chowhound raved about the recipe … that’s why I was so keen on trying it, had to hunt down Mahleb.

1 Like

I’m new to the canary melon we like it sweet flavor without being mushy.

I can see blueberries working nicely next time !

2 Likes

FRUITED FARRO SALAD P. 300
Toast farro in olive oil then add Aleppo pepper, salt and white (black) pepper and water. Simmer for 20-30 min. until liquid is absorbed. To this you add Turkish (Calif.) dried apricots, currants (raisins), red onion and cilantro. Mix and add olive oil and pomegranate molasses. This had some good flavors in it but I think the seasoning was way off. Too much salt, pepper and Aleppo pepper as well as olive oil. I keep looking at the recipe to see if I did something wildly wrong but I can’t see it.

2 Likes

Disappointing when that happens. Do you think you could rescue it by adding some more farro, and tweaking the seasonings?

It didn’t actually make much and there is not enough left to bother. I think this recipe has potential. I would like someone with more experience with the ingredients try it.

1 Like