July 2023 Cookbook of the Month: RecipeTin Eats Book & Blog

Agree with this and also a lot of recipe testing, which I really appreciate. I feel like her blog and The Woks of Life can always be trusted because of the amount of recipe testing they do.

2 Likes

Add David Lebovitz to this group!

2 Likes

Thanks!

Keftedes (in patty rather than meatball format) and Greek lemon rice pilaf.

I made 1/3 of the keftedes recipe with the half pound of ground bison I had left from the beef (bison) chow mein. I don’t know when I will accept that I am unable to grate onion without grating a knuckle or two. From comments on the recipe I am not alone. General agreement is to use a mini-prep and reduce onion to pulp instead. I added a tiny bit of heavy cream to account for how lean bison is but should have added a bit more. These were delicious though.

I made a half recipe of the lemon pilaf following the recipe very closely but holding back on both lemon juice and zest as too much lemon tastes like Lemon Pledge to me. It was very good but will increase lemon a bit next time.

Both recipes are keepers. Leftovers tomorrow with horta from another source.

7 Likes

To protect my fingers, I wear a cut resistant glove for jobs like this. If I don’t, I always regret it!

1 Like

Come and vote!

Seconding this recipe for Beef Chow Mein. I made it last night (using spaghetti noodles) and it was great. I wish our pan was big enough to make extra for leftovers, as I suspect they are awesome. As it were, we consumed the full recipe between the two of us.

3 Likes

Yeah, I used linguini noodles, not sure if I mentioned. So good! Need to make again soon. And it would have to be a heck of a pan to double, I had trouble wrangling it in a 12" frying pan.

2 Likes

I used a 12" pan as well. No leftovers! :yum:

The beauty of cooking for one!! :wink:

1 Like

Made a veggie version tonight: no beef or egg, a big handful of roasted mushrooms instead. Added finely minced fresh ginger in same volume as garlic, used sliced peapods and escarole as the veggies, added a few slices of Fresno chili (and would add more next time). Due to shellfish allergy I always use a vegan mushroom-based “oyster” sauce and I used a mushroom dark soy so there was a ton of umami. Think I enjoyed this even more than the original.

ETA: start stir fry when your noodles have only 2 minutes to go. I started mine when the noodles were 3 minutes out and the veggies were just slightly overcooked for my taste.

11 Likes

Please join us in nominating a book for November:

1 Like

Please join us in the voting for the November COTM:

CHICKEN PICCATA FROM DINNER

I had 50% more chicken so I increased ingredients by 50%. In the past, my favorite recipe for this was from America’s Test Kitchen; I have so many recipes printed out that I couldn’t locate it easily so just tried this recipe. It was tasty but didn’t make enough sauce.

I tried to locate the ATK recipe online, didn’t think I would, but, I did and here it is:

This one doesn’t use white wine but does use broth, shallot, garlic and lemon juice as well as lemon slices; I much prefer it. This even tastes good cold, makes an excellent sandwich.

5 Likes

I continue to be very impressed with Nagi.

4 Likes

which ingrediants you used ?

If you click on the link in the original post, you’ll find the recipe ingredients. :wink:

1 Like

My Perfect Vanilla Cake. I made a half recipe of this, so one 8” pan. It’s a bit like a hot milk sponge cake, but with butter melted into the milk, and more mixing after the milk/flour additions. I liked it, but didn’t love it. It was ever so slightly stodgy at first, and I was expecting something lighter. I may have forgot to halve the vanilla, as there was a bit of an aftertaste, so that was my fault. This cake grew on me over the week and I had the last slice this morning. Still moist and fresh after 5 days at cool room temperature.

11 Likes

LLM:

You were unable to find Rye Flour where you live.

Here’s from the latest King Arthur catalog:

5 Likes

Thank you!