July 2020 Openings and Closings [Boston and New England]

Everything is still weird and the last thread rolled over for two months, but this time we’re making a new one! I think there’s some new things in the offing (Hen Chicken Rice in Union Square is supposedly just waiting on inspections) and I’m sure there will be some sad closings in this environment.

That sort of thing goes here.

3 Likes

Cafe Pamplona in Harvard Square has closed for good.

1 Like

Les Zygomates is closed for good. Sad!

4 Likes

That is so sad!

Craigie Burger announced they won’t be reopening in TimeOut Market whenever that reopens.

Thinking of all the food halls that have, and were slated to open…yikes…

1 Like

Not sure where else to post this that seem relevant.

But wanted to give people a heads up that “The Mighty Squirrel” in Waltham is seriously expanding their outdoor space and turning a portion of the large parking lot into a beer garden. They’ve posted a few pics online - glad it is more than just tables on asphalt!

(I’m not a big beer drinker, so it isn’t a place I normally go unless a group is headed that way - but a large socially distanced outdoor space sounds awfully nice right about now.)

7 Likes

Bummer

Another stalwart. It’s getting nasty out there.

1 Like

The Mill City Cheesemonger in Lowell has closed for good. . DH had done a couple of the Victory boxes through them. It was a nice little shop with a good selection, but sounds like they will be back some how somewhere in the future.
https://mailchi.mp/840249460ebf/bittersweet-news-change-is-in-the-air?fbclid=IwAR27YqwCjKMgyL3FReawvH6CBtfa_K6RlXAELwCkIlZu2VghgsiJfRdiRYo

5 Likes

How I loved that place! A movie at The Luna and a selection of cheeses brought home from Mill City made such a lovely date night for us.

Chalk up another fond food memory.

2 Likes

I think the very last hurrah will be a farmer’s market next week in Billerica or Dracut. Its in the newsletter linked in my post. My husband was very sad.

2 Likes

Rox Diner in Newtonville is closed.

2 Likes

Not restaurants but Sur Le Table has filed for bankruptcy and will close it shops in Boston, Chestnut Hill etc

5 Likes

This makes me sad, as I have liked Sur La Table for fancy kitchen stuff from time to time. I have a small stainless steel sauté pan of their brand that’s been a workhorse for many years.

3 Likes

and Burlington mall. So no Sur la Table in Massachusetts.

2 Likes

this was pretty much the only store worth going into at Burlington mall

3 Likes

I feel like we need a thread so we know where the liquidation percent off is as they close stores. Could be some good deals. (I’ll miss the store though)

4 Likes

They had great stuff, but they did make you pay for it. Much like LeRoux, which I like a little better because of their oils and vinegars.

1 Like

Saw a report that The Field in Central Square is closing. Now, this one makes me sad. Many fun nights were spent there in my younger years. We had rediscovered it several years back for the patio and it became a go to for easy family dinners. Good value, good people. They will be missed.

5 Likes

And in Kendall Square, Flat Top Johnny’s is the latest casualty. Owner John Adams was THE beloved bartender at Cambridge Brewing Company before branching out on his own across the courtyard. Many a pint (and fabulous Margarita) was spilled wiling away hours at the red felt tables. Will miss the artwork, too. Thanks for the memories, John.

6 Likes