July 2020 Openings and Closings [Boston and New England]

$#!t

2 Likes

$#!t squared

2 Likes

Pizzeria Regina is closing their Allston. The location is a good space (RIP Sports Depot), but the pizza there never compared to the North End original. There’s enough developing along Cambridge Street that something will happen with that space (hopefully not an apartment building).

7 Likes

Original train station was designed by H H Richardson (of Trinity Church fame). Not sure much of the original facade is visible. Would love to see the building restored, but would take vision and deep pockets.

6 Likes

I love that building. The nooks and crannies are great.

3 Likes

I almost never ate at the North End location, but I did have some good pies from the Allston location over the years. Sad.

1 Like

so many great Richardson buildings around here. I’m actually cataloging image records for his Converse Library in Malden right now!

6 Likes

Didn’t know about the Malden Library. Knew he designed one in Quincy. Wouldn’t it be cool to see his Allston train station restored and used as a public market or mini food hall?

5 Likes

he designed the Woburn, Easton and Ludlow public libraries too! I love his work. Sever Hall at Harvard is one of the greatest university buildings in the country, imo.

and yes, that train station would make a nice mini food hall.

4 Likes

Cafe Bella in Randolph closing. That place had a long run and was always good when we met friends from the south shore there.

2 Likes

There are 5 Richardson buildings in Easton.

3 Likes

A Portland place that has been on my to-do list since they opened.

And now it is too late.

5 Likes

So sad and will happen to many other spots I fear.

3 Likes

It was on our list as well. Portland is the perfect place to meet our daughter-in-law’s parents, who have become good friends. They live in Rockport ME and pre-Covid we would meet there at least a couple of times a year. Drifter’s Wife was high on the list. This is just so hard.

2 Likes

This is so sad that so many places where closed

6 Likes

Bummer. Drifter’s Wife was on my list as well. My wife has family in the Portland area, and though we don’t get out to dinner there as much as we once did, it still sucks to see all these places closing.

2 Likes

Pammy’s has stopped take out and closed temporarily for a few weeks to do covid related renovations before reopening. It looks like they have received permission from the city to take part of the street and do patio seating in front of the restaurant.

5 Likes

I’m really sorry I missed the Pammy’s take out. I went to the web site to order the day after they stopped. Given our circumstances, it’s too early for us to eat at restaurants even outside.

2 Likes

I believe that Pammy’s hired Rob Fick from the Hawthorne (I met him when he ran the program at Craigie on Main) to run the drinks program so they are thinking towards the future instead of gearing down completely.

7 Likes

Time Out food hall in the Fenway
has reopened, according to The Boston Globe.

That said, we don’t plan on venturing to any food hall venue any time soon.

3 Likes