Jing Fong -- Manhattan

Agree.

Another enjoyable meal at Jing Fong UWS this weekend.

Sadly, they seem to have done away with my favorite crispy wild mushroom cheung fun, but the shrimp (wafer) version was also very good (my companion had never eaten it before and loved it so much we got a second order.

Tried a new-to-me dumpling - spinach, shrimp, and crab - which was pretty tasty.

The har gow were a bit less refined than the last few times I’ve visited (slightly thicker and stickier skins), but still tasty.

( I don’t know that this is reflective of anything, but I had not noticed in previous visits that they are well-patronized by folks who appear to be of East Asian origin - we sat outdoors, and were one of only 2 non-Asian parties.)

1 Like

Has Jing Fong improved since it had to move out of the big eating hall on Elizabeth St.? I always found it fine before, just never really standout, though if you could get things hot, there were something pretty pleasant items.

My better experiences have been with the UWS location. As I mentioned upthread, my experiences of the Chinatown branch were in the big hall, usually when I took groups of people there for a Lunar New Year celebration (it was that if I was in NYC, or China Pearl if I was in Boston), more for the atmosphere and spectacle than for the food (some dishes were very good, but many were, as you say, just OK). I haven’t been to the Chinatown location since the big hall closed, but have had the UWS food about a dozen times in the last 3 years. As I said, it’s been improving and is now, as @Saregama observes, quite good overall.