Jicama, what’s your favorite way to use it?

I bought a few orbs and wondered how you would use them. I have a few carrot and jicama salad ideas already. TIA.

Rooster

I like Vietnamese meatballs. Also good in dumplings. Some dumplings have chopped water chestnuts, jicama can be used as an alternative. Both are crunchy and refreshing.

Somebody actually has a recipe:

2 Likes

In place of water chestnuts-brilliant! Thanks for the assist!

1 Like

Well of course you can make as a quick pickle with the carrots like you get on bahn mi sandwiches! Then use in summer rolls or whatever sandwiches

If it’s very fresh and the inside is a bit wet (i have yet to find a good one on the east coast! All dry inside) they’re fantastic just sliced thin to eat raw or use as a scooper for dips or salsa. Mexican prep is with a sprinkle of Tajin and some lime juice as a raw snack.
I’ve seen recipes where it’s diced fine and added to salsas as well.

2 Likes

Thank you , great suggestions.

1 Like

Brilliant idea! Thanks!

1 Like

We’ve been putting it in parathas with a little brown sugar

Ditto re water chestnut or even bamboo shoot texture swap. Ditto anywhere that cucumber would help texture but not flavor.

Low carb crunchy dipper - think guac on rounds of jicama rather than a chip, or sticks of jicama though I find those

I’m now thinking I should try the rounds in fattoush to stand in for the crunch of pita chips…

Made a jicama and carrot salad with a very light tahini dressing and a few shrimp bahn mi subs and tossed the rest in a chef salad. I will def buy jicama on the regular when I’m around to enjoy it. The crisp, crunch texture softens quickly.

2 Likes

Raw, in sticks, dressed with lime juice, salt and Tajin. Put in ziplocks and eat on the beach!

1 Like

I’ve only had it raw, and not in decades. Every time I see them in the supermarket, they look old and iffy - not worth the spendy price. But it was a choice for my latest Misfits Market order (I am in the beta test group for customizing orders). It’s a pristine one the size of a jumbo grapefruit. After peeling, I sliced it the size of French fries and just enjoyed some of the raw sticks dipped into Thai peanut sauce.

My question : How long will they keep, and how should they be stored? I put the sticks into a zipper baggie, sucked the air out, and popped it into the fridge. I’m the only one eating them, so I hope they won’t be quick to go south.

They will keep for some time unpeeled. Use up quickly once peeled. In Asia and Mexico I notice they are not normally stored in the fridge, just leave them outside like potatoes. They are like beetroots and other root vegs, best to use before they become soft and wrinkly.

I like them best cold, with some chilli salt as a snack. After that, in a stir-fry.

I also love jicama raw and/or mixed into a refreshing salad for some crunch. I really enjoy it but admit to not enjoying the work of doing this at home. I loathe cutting matchstick anything – I start off well and then by the 3 or 4th slice, everything is fat and uneven as I get sick of doing it.

My parents like to use jicama in soup. Jicama does lend a mild sweetness to it, but of course the texture of the jicama itself turns to mush - much like carrots boiled too long. Yay for the flavor, but a big nay on eating the actual boiled jicama afterwards.

Thanks for the info. The box also contained a beet and oranges. I have some candied pecans, frisee, walnut oil, and schmancy vinegars, so will roast and dice the beet, segment an orange, dice some of the jicama, and have myself a classy salad!

1 Like

I use it in Chinese cooking in place of fresh water chestnuts. It’s a much better substitution than canned water chestnuts.

Within a day of refrigeratng the jicama sticks, they developed a dry, starchy exterior, though the interior is still somewhat moist. It was a very speedy transition!

Have family in Mexico. I eat it pretty much the same way they do. Lime, salt and chile powder

That’s a great idea for sub for water chestnuts. Canned water chestnuts are the worst. I was lucky to grow up always eating fresh ones, and didn’t have canned water chestnuts until I was an adult and experienced this in a place that threw this into an “asian salad”. Ugh-- didn’t even recognize it as water chestnut until someone pointed that out.

1 Like