Jicama, what’s your favorite way to use it?

I bought a few orbs and wondered how you would use them. I have a few carrot and jicama salad ideas already. TIA.

Rooster

I like Vietnamese meatballs. Also good in dumplings. Some dumplings have chopped water chestnuts, jicama can be used as an alternative. Both are crunchy and refreshing.

Somebody actually has a recipe:

2 Likes

In place of water chestnuts-brilliant! Thanks for the assist!

1 Like

Well of course you can make as a quick pickle with the carrots like you get on bahn mi sandwiches! Then use in summer rolls or whatever sandwiches

If it’s very fresh and the inside is a bit wet (i have yet to find a good one on the east coast! All dry inside) they’re fantastic just sliced thin to eat raw or use as a scooper for dips or salsa. Mexican prep is with a sprinkle of Tajin and some lime juice as a raw snack.
I’ve seen recipes where it’s diced fine and added to salsas as well.

2 Likes

Thank you , great suggestions.

1 Like

Brilliant idea! Thanks!

1 Like

We’ve been putting it in parathas with a little brown sugar

Ditto re water chestnut or even bamboo shoot texture swap. Ditto anywhere that cucumber would help texture but not flavor.

Low carb crunchy dipper - think guac on rounds of jicama rather than a chip, or sticks of jicama though I find those

I’m now thinking I should try the rounds in fattoush to stand in for the crunch of pita chips…

Made a jicama and carrot salad with a very light tahini dressing and a few shrimp bahn mi subs and tossed the rest in a chef salad. I will def buy jicama on the regular when I’m around to enjoy it. The crisp, crunch texture softens quickly.

2 Likes

Raw, in sticks, dressed with lime juice, salt and Tajin. Put in ziplocks and eat on the beach!

1 Like

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter!

Press Room
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold