Jay Rayner things restaurants must stop doing in 2016

I think this is spot on
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/14/12-things-restaurants-must-stop-doing-in-2016-jay-rayner

And if you have time, the comments are pretty good too.

4 Likes

Spot on, he is.

But read some Chowhound or Hungry Onion thread about stuff folk hate about restaurants, and youā€™ll see Jay is just a pussycat when it comes to this subject.

The one I agree with him most on is ā€œpour your own wineā€ comment. Just leave the sodding bottle and the sodding jug/bottle of water on the table . It irritates the wotsit out of me when places take them away

2 Likes

LOL! And I REALLY agree with the testicle comment!

1 Like

I prefer unsalted butter. Everything else, I agree with.

Ooh, yes, that too. I can then add some salt if I want and then I like the texture better.

That and donā€™t expect the man to always be paying.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the ā€œtesticleā€ comment. LOL

Yup. :slight_smile:

Of course. And most times, restaurants put the bill in the middle of the table.

Itā€™s pretty much always Mrs Hā€™s credit card that pays for dinner - and, even then, the card machine is more often offered to me. Good places take the trouble to look at the card and see whose it is.

1 Like

EXACTLY. If it says ā€œMathildaā€ as the first name, itā€™s most likely not the manā€™s credit card. LOL

1 Like

So agree on the unsalted butter = flavorless grease. I long ago started salting my bread and butter in restaurants. I donā€™t ever even buy unsalted butter. The whole concept escapes me. Itā€™s an unfinished recipe.

And salt and pepper shakers on the table, PLEASE! This is the result of a chef who is easily offended. I like pepper.

I have never seen granola on a menu here or in England so I have no idea about that one.

Actually, make that salt & pepper grinders. No restaurant worth its name should have pre-ground salt or pepper (flavorless crappy dust) on its tables.

4 Likes

Especially those who have them in little open dishes. If I had confidence that no-on else had been poking about in them, then Iā€™d be OK. But, hey, confidence in restaurants on food hygiene matters. Come on, someoneā€™s having a laff, innit.

3 Likes

Especially now that commercially available (read cheap and disposable) salt and pepper grinders are available. Even the local chains and holes-in-the-wall places let you grind your own.

And on the bread/butter issue. My favorite spots (admittedly neither chains nor holes-in-the-wall) offer a variety of butters: non-salted, salted, herbed to accompany a variety of breads.

God, I love Jay Rayner.

1 Like

I so agree with lighting comment. I canā€™t see anymore.

Please stop asking me what I want to drink before my butt has touched the chair. I donā€™t know what Iā€™m going to eat yet so how would I know what I want to drink, unless itā€™s breakfast and then copious coffee is in order.

I also detest ā€˜how is everythingā€™ when I havenā€™t had a single bite or maybe just one bite.

Yes leave the bottle alone. I like to pour my own wine or water.

4 Likes

I WANT water right away. So I like the question. My reply is ā€œWater please and weā€™ll make our wine (or whatever) decision after weā€™ve looked at the menu.ā€ Takes a few seconds and Iā€™ve never had a problem.

smartie, how ole are you?!? :slight_smile: When I was in my early 40s my eye doctor explained that my difficulty reading menus was due toā€¦OLD AGE :slight_smile: Not really but I got reading glasses and the problem was solved.

Very late 50s :frowning , oh yes I have reading glasses but some restaurants are still very dark.

Itā€™s not the question itā€™s that sometimes we havenā€™t even sat, still pulling out the chair or sliding into a booth. Maybe itā€™s just America but I do prefer the slower European service.

Also I donā€™t like the check being brought to the table so quickly. I might want dessert or coffee but that check arrives as if by magic. Of course there is the opposite where you canā€™t find your server to ask for the check but thatā€™s another moan.

Reading these, I guess Iā€™m sprinkled with ā€˜fairy dustā€™ cause I have few problems and RARELY are they significant enough to effect my enjoyment of the meal. Iā€™d like to say itā€™s a ā€œLeft Coastā€ thing but I find this anywhere in the world I go. ???

I like either salted or unsalted. But unsalted is not tasteless grease. I agree with the rest of it though. I like to pour my own wine, and I so agree about the small tables. We ate at a local French bistro and the table for 4 was barely meant for two and they served on very large plates.