JAPANESE - Winter 2022 (Jan-Mar) Cuisine of the Quarter

Those eggs! fantastic, naf!

1 Like

Totally agreed! If only I had access to that many Japanese pickles…

2 Likes

Japanese is one of my favorite cuisines to cook at home. Ivan Orkin’s The Gaijin Cookbook is really a great resource. I use his teriyaki sauce recipe all the time. Another well worn cookbook is The Cooking of Japan volume from the old Time Life series Food of the World. Its the book where I first learned about the variety of Japanese food. The No Recipes blog is another source for Japanese themed cooking.

With how cold it is I think it maybe time for oden.

2 Likes

Thx. After water boils, cook the eggs 6 minutes 10 seconds in medium heat, cool them in ice water for 15 minutes. Peel or marinate in the soy sauce mixture for at least 3 hours for soy eggs.

Anyone else use hondashi? I always have konbu and katsuoboshi on hand to make dashi, but sometimes it’s just too easy to measure a teaspoon and drop it into a pot of boiling water. When I need a ponzu real quick, I microwave a cup of it to get the base going.

Also anyone else here watch Midnight Diner or Samurai Gourmet? I’ve gotten inspiration to make some of the things I’ve seen on the shows.

3 Likes

Sure. I use Shimaya dashi-no-moto. Both Hondashi and dashi-no-moto are both instant dashi and both contain msg.

1 Like

Yeah I use it a lot when making miso soup for lunch, I put a little of those granules in a bowl, pour in some boiling water from the electric kettle, and mash up a spoonful of miso paste in there, and add some chopped scallion and dehydrated seaweed. Also use it when making other things that use just a little bit of dashi (or even a lot of dashi, due to laziness).

4 Likes

I use it (and the Korean equivalent, dashida, which comes in a wide range of flavors) with abandon. I remember making meal soups for my parents when I was younger and really getting into cooking. I hid the fact that I was using dashida for the soup base because Korean women of a certain age prided themselves on making soup stocks from scratch so I wanted to be like mom. They loved my soups (and still do). My “secret” was revealed one day when mom caught me adding it to my soup pot. And I mumbled some excuse, “it’s just easier, I didn’t have time…” Well, mom finally admitted to me “I use it, too.” It was a funny moment.

PS In defense of mom, when she was younger, she did make her soups from scratch…it’s when she got older that she started using shortcuts. Which is ok by me. She’s was and still is an awesome cook .

7 Likes

This is neat . A recipe for Chicken Flambée from Maison Japonaise in Manhattan, answering a very old query on CH. The OP asked for the recipe in 2004, and the recipe was posted online this week, in 2022.

2 Likes

It just occurred to me as I’m making a pot of beans for rice and beans tonight…I liberally sprinkled some Liquid Smoke into my pot. Is LS like the dashi(da) of BBQ folks? (“Um…I just didn’t have the time to smoke for 96 hours so I added a dash.”) lol.

4 Likes

I prefer to use spanish smoked paprika, pimenton de la vera, or smoked salt as my cheat for winter time indoor bbq. Actually have a whole brisket that has been seasoned and will be going into my oven tomorrow for a 12 hour slow roast. Its not a cheat for time. Makes up for the lack of a smoker when its below freezing and the ground is frozen.

6 Likes

Tonkatsu (deep fried pork cutlet) for dinner, with cabbage, fukujinzuke (the red ones) and takuan (the yellow ones) pickles, broccolini and tomato with sesame dressing, miso soup, and rice with furikake.

Also finished off a bottle of Dassai 45 which was quite nice, on the sweet side.

14 Likes

Love it! Especially the presentation. Assuming bulldog on the tonkatsu?

Thanks! Yes Bulldog tonkatsu sauce from the bottle.

1 Like

Same here - I also sometimes use chipotles in adobo to coat the meat before adding a dry rub if I want to go a little spicier.

3 Likes

Made some natto soba for lunch, recipe from Japanese Soul Cooking by Tadashi Ono and Harris Salat. It has natto (fermented soybeans with a sticky and slimy coating), shiso leaf, scallions, and umeboshi (pickled plum) on top of cold soba (buckwheat noodles). Along with some miso soup, takuan, and gyoza from a batch I made last weekend.

gyoza in progress

9 Likes

Looks fab!!

I’ve got this book as a Christmas gift 2 years ago, great book for various Japanese dishes.

Which gyoza recipe have you used? Did you keep them in the fridge or freezer for a week?

1 Like

I have been wondering what happened to Harris Salat. He opened Ganso, a ramen place. I would see him in it all the time when it first opened. Then he opened an izakaya not to far away. Was a really nice place and always packed. Then he announced he was opening a sushi spot. Next thing all three places shut down without warning and there were stories about unpaid workers. I guess he expanded too much too fast. Too bad. I liked his restaurants.

1 Like

Need to work on my plating and presentation

Matsubagani dinner 3 ways- Shabu shabu, sashimi and gohan

Kinmedai - sashimi’ed (not pictured) and Ushio-Jiru

10 Likes

Uni, Chūtoro, fish roe don

9 Likes