JAPANESE - Winter 2022 (Jan-Mar) Cuisine of the Quarter

Truth! I’m mostly familiar with Japanese cuisine from dishes I have eaten in restaurants. Folks here are outshining most of that!

3 Likes

It is dried and shaved Kelp (seaweed). “Tororo Kombu are thin and long flakes made by shaving dried kombu that has been softened in vinegar.”

4 Likes

@BierMonk Is right. Actually I saw it in store and understood it was some kind of kelp, but no idea what to do with that. One can also use it in broth or miso soup. It tastes quite different from the green seaweed, it’s savoure, tart, thin and fragile.

2 Likes

@naf I may give Japanese food a try but in addition to having trouble finding the ingredients, I would also be lacking in plating talent.

@tomatotomato Most of the Japanese food around here is either hibachi or overwrought sushi rolls. Ugh.

3 Likes

Terrific, so glad it worked out - looks great!

1 Like
5 Likes

If you’d like some traditional sweets, how about manju?

4 Likes

How about some Japanese Fried Rice?

5 Likes

Since this topic is going to close soon, might as well finish with Japanese Rare Cheesecake.

Here’s a video for it as well.

5 Likes

My son’s the same way :grinning:

I like matcha, most of the matcha dessert I find the sweetness overwhelming. Your cheese cake looks good.

Are you from Japan?

Kitsune udon - simple udon noodle bowl with dashi, soy sauce, and mirin soup, narutomaki, marinated tofu puff, and green onion.

9 Likes

Just found this thread and I wanted to share this book which we acquired recently. It’s helping us up our snack game, though lots of frying involved. No pix to share sadly but we’ve been doing one recipe from this book per month and it’s a good reason to do okonomiyaki a lot more than I might otherwise have.

9 Likes

Zaru soba, cold soba noodles with dipping sauce. With some store bought frozen tempura, which I guess makes it a tenzaru soba. Also, takuan pickles, salad of arugula and tomato with Kewpie sesame dressing, and miso soup.

10 Likes

Omurice for lunch today - omelet over chicken fried rice, topped with some store bought Japanese style demi glace thinned out with a little water.

11 Likes

Impressed!

1 Like

I’m not a big sushi eater, and I’m picky about some ingredients, so I was thrilled to find a ramen recipe that I didn’t need to modify too much. I make no claims about its authenticity, but it was delicious.

I cooked the pork in the InstantPot (30min on High), with slightly less water to stay under the maximum fill volume.
The only changes we’d make for next time are:

• more of the sautéed vegetables
  • a bigger chunk of pork (it was so good we nibbled on it while I was cooking…)
  • make the broth a day ahead, to make straining and removing the fat a little easier
6 Likes

Oyakodon for lunch today, with salad with Kewpie sesame dressing, and miso soup.

11 Likes

That looks so good! I need to make this soon.

2 Likes

:100:, @Mr_Happy

3 Likes