January–April 2024 Baking Cookbook of the Months :SNACKING BAKES by Yossy Arefi

I think i made a correction that it was 12. Sorry

Chocolate ricotta cake. I made two versions of the suggested frosting – cream cheese, and cocoa cream cream cheese. I made this in a 9 x 9 pan as I did with every recipe from snacking cakes, and baked for 35 minutes, but it was a little overbaked. Still delicious and I loved the frostings. I used vanilla extract instead of almond extract in frostings and omitted cardamom in cake.

12 Likes

I really hated the cardamom in this cake, and I’m a cardamom fan. But mine was also weirdly dry.

1 Like

Oh that’s so interesting re dry. Do you remember if you use the recommended pan and the recommended baking time? A friend who is definitely not a baker made it several weeks ago and I really loved it.

1 Like

I used the recommended pan and baking time - I usually end up needing to bake things longer, but always check at the first recommended time. And this was over baked and unappealing. I was surprised and disappointed.

2 Likes

EVERYTHING BUT THE BAGEL BREAD (p. 180)

I didn’t make this, a friend did, and she gave me a slice (still warm!). I’m here to tell you that this is delicious. She used chives instead of scallions but otherwise followed the recipe. Her husband thought it was too salty, but I thought it was perfect. No photo, no description of process since I didn’t make it. But I will be making it in the future. I think it would be excellent with soup or stew.

6 Likes

This is one I plan to make, indeed to serve alongside soup or something stewy, though maybe with some flavor variation. It also sounds as if it would work great served with eggs.

2 Likes

I have never eaten a bagel with eggs, it just occurred to me, and I’m finding it kind of surprising (and weird of me, maybe? I don’t love eggs). But if that is something people have together (which I’m guessing it must be), then yes, absolutely.

I wasn’t even necessarily thinking of the everything bagel part, just more that a freshly baked, flavorful bread would be nice there.

1 Like

SallyT, have you listened to the Smitten Kitchen/Kenji podcast? I feel sure you already know this, but you (I think) were mentioned because of a website comment. Forgive me if I’m late to this news, but I was excited.

2 Likes

Yes! Isn’t that wild? My family was so excited!!!

7 Likes

CHOCOLATE CHIP CRISPY RANGERS (p. 54)

Mine aren’t quite as neat looking as Stef’s but they are good chocolate chip cookies, no doubt. I’ve only tried one fresh from the oven, and couldn’t really tell it had rice crispies in it. I used big dark chocolate and tiny semi-sweet chocolate chips. My regular is Toll House with walnuts added, and I do miss the nuts, but still, this is a delicious cookie.

11 Likes

They are lovely. Depends what angle picture is taken at

2 Likes

Grapefruit cookies! I brought these to my art class and they were huge hit. Really subtle but lovely citrus notes.

13 Likes

And I just made the GLAZED COOKIE BUTTER BAR as well! I like rum flavours, but am taking it in to work so used Sallyt’s variation for the glaze since not everyone does. A test slice was excellent! It’s for tomorrow’s team meeting ( part one, in the morning. For part two we are all going outside to see the eclipse!!! )

11 Likes

Looks like an excellent treat for the morning, and sounds like an excellent plan for the afternoon!

2 Likes

Update: bars were very popular with the team… we had less success with the eclipse due to cloud cover. We at least were able see some of it before the clouds rolled in… and was surreal to see the sky get dark and feel it get colder. Still a very fun experience!

4 Likes

Are we doing another BCOTM this year (or did I miss it)?

1 Like

It didn’t happen in time for last month and since there was no movement for ut, I didn’t pursue it late. My plan is to see if folks are up for more with a nomination thread in the next couple of days, and think about doing a Summer quarter book and a Fall quarter book to finish out the year,

3 Likes

Thank you for your efforts!

I often stay out of the noms & voting to let the prolific bakers have their choice, but always get tempted into the thread eventually!

2 Likes