It's about time we foodies got our own horror movie

Same. Also Fiona Shaw and Olivia Colman. I may have a type.

5 Likes

I might have seen it, but I don’t remember. I’m going to watch it this weekend!

2 Likes

I won’t spoil it for you then , but do let us know what you think.

1 Like

Actually I just read some reviews on Amazon (Britbox), and I’m not sure it’s for me. Sounds sorta dark. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Yes, very dark, and it didn’t float my boat either. But to each their own.

3 Likes

I ordered Motel Hell dvd with the added bonus of Deranged (no way around it) for my husband as a surprise because of this thread. He likes what I call C- / D+ movies. I know I’ll regret it, but I can always go in the other room to read a book.

4 Likes

LOL!! Yeah, as the crow flies. My chainsaw guy would be less than a mile over hills. 4 miles by car.

1 Like

Motel Hell was good but have you seen Blood Diner???

2 Likes

The horror!

2 Likes

very late to this but to say The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover is ‘sorta dark’ is rather like saying fish sauce is ‘sorta funky’.

It’s a visual masterpiece, and I happen to absolutely love it, but it is most definitely NOT for everyone. Very “artsy”, slower paced, and fairly explicit in terms of sex, violence, and ‘disgust’ (rotting food, etc) in general. There IS a point to all of it, but there are a lot of folks that simply do not care for Peter Greenaway’s style, and that’s ok.

But I saw The Menu trailer and I am very intrigued. I don’t QUITE think it’s just a Most Dangerous Game ripoff. But I guess we’ll see!

and yes, Motel Hell and Blood Diner are both classics. For another another not-quite-horror-but-close film to do with food, I recommend Le Grande Bouffe (1973), about a group of men that go to a villa and order endless gourmet meals in order to eat themselves to death.

3 Likes

Me too! I haven’t been to “a theatre near me” for years, but this might be the one.

1 Like

I was the person going to theaters right up 'til they shut down and was first back when they reopened, but film is both my main passtime and my career, so I recognize I am not typical. I love the streaming revolution, but there’s simply no substitute to being in the dark with a bunch of other people all being scared or sad or laughing together with (hopefully) no phones, interruptions, or distractions.

It’s sort of like, sure, you could go to the sushi place, get some take out, bring home stuff packed in boxes and eat it, but it’s not really the same as having the chef hand you a freshly sliced slab of ocean trout with still warm rice.

2 Likes

My brother too. I don’t know what he’s talking/complaining about half the time, and I so want to know which ones are most appreciated on the big screen, and not just because they say "only in theaters ".

1 Like

You and my partner should get together and go bowling or something. :slight_smile:

A lot of films don’t need the theater to be appreciated, but most will benefit from a dedicated screening. Some really do need to be seen on ‘the big screen’ to be fully appreciated. For instance, even though I acknowledge that Avatar, as a story, is eye-rollingly derivative, and Beefy McWhathisface possesses what I can only call anti-charisma, I will be seeing the sequel in the theater, in 3D whatever, (which I generally loathe) because James Cameron knows how to stun me with impossible sights for 2 hours, and THAT’S what I’m going to see. The plot could hardly matter less.

3 Likes

:thinking:

is why I don’t go to to the theater much anymore.

True, but there are several solutions which I employ with great success:

1. art house / repertory theaters. The audience is self selecting to people that go out of their way for those kinds of films

2. Matinees. Even on the weekends for the latest superhero punch-em-up that I take the niblings to, a 1pm sunday showing is the same film as the Saturday 7pm showing, much less crowded, and infinitely better behaved. Bonus if you can manage to take a long lunch on a weekday. You’ll have most theaters practically to yourself.

4 Likes

Arthouse is good, especially Alama Drafthouse with their fierce “shut up or get out” attitude. But matinees here are often filled with either kids or chatty seniors or both. We went to see the first Wonderwoman at an 11am showing and ended up in front of a grandma rambling on to her granddaughter as if they were in their own living room.

Well, you didn’t miss much. Better than the 2nd, to be sure, but it was only ‘good’ in comparison to the dumpster fire that was the Snyderverse. But the thread drift is getting out of hand here.

We do not, alas, have one local to us. The ‘shut up or get out’ policy I like. The idea of waitstaff wandering round delivering beers and food… I dunno… Is the food any good? Or is it just theater food with the captive audience surcharge?

I liked it fine. I’ll take it over most of the other superhero stuff, that’s for sure. Don’t get me started on Watchmen.

It’s better than nachos with pump cheese, but it’s not a draw on its own.