ITALIAN - Fall 2019 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

Makes so much sense. Most countries have significant regional differences in cuisine.

But when the cuisine travels outside, certain things become representative, for better or for worse.

Diaspora creates even more evolution and adaptation, with the additional filter of specifically where the immigrants came from.

True of Indian, Chinese, Italian, and so on. What is most easily identifiable as each of those cuisines abroad is either far from representative or a tiny fraction of the original.

But it’s all delicious :yum:

(@Rooster I’m excited about your family recipes!)

3 Likes

That’s true of prepared foods everywhere. So now that I understand that a cuisine thread will likely have both traditional roots and modern day approaches based on cooking experienceS and access to ingredients, I’m sure eager to participate in this fun thread.

Pizza is an easy example of how varied the prep can be. In my family, tomato based sauces, herbed sauces and cheese sauces have several variations each. My Aunt, Uncles and Dad grew up in Tuscany. My Aunt has kept the traditions going. Tg.

4 Likes

I don’t know in US, but in France, even in authentic Italian restaurants, you rarely find the meal serves in the traditional Italian way: soup, pasta, rice or even pizza as primo, and meat, fish dishes as secondo, then comes the vegetables or salad, followed by cheese, fruits and lastly dessert. I believe the main reason is the difficulty to propose other food when you are nearly full with your primo.

1 Like

I think it’s also what customers want to / are used to eating, and again true for all cuisines outside their home countries.

I still remember the first “fancy” meal I had in Italy, while traveling there during college (friends of my parents took my travel companion and I out to a memorable dinner).

The “tiny” portion of pasta as primi, the couple-of-bites portions of everything else served as it was meant to be eaten…

I mean, I still love a giant bowl of pasta every so often, but that meal was an education.

4 Likes

That’s so wonderful.

2 Likes

Every region of Italia has its signature classics and special places that offer them.

Abruzzo: Is known for its roasted Lamb ( Agnello Arrosto )
This region is where the shepherds still tend their flocks of sheep.

Umbria: Known for their chick peas and Zuppa dei Cecci. A thick hearty bean soup.

Basilicata and Calabria: Are known for their aubergine dishes.

Sardinia: Carta di Musica, a thin crisp cracker bread and of course their shellfish and seafood stews.

Apulia: Famous for its home made Orecchiette ( tiny pasta which resemble “ears”) and prepared with Cavolo, an Italian black cabbage. Puglia on the Adriatic is also well known for its Buratta di Bufala and its shellfish.

Milano: My favorite Italian dishes are the Risotto of Milano.

Veneto: In Venezia, like Spain, have a Barcetti and Cichetti Culture ( Tapas ) … Always a true pleasure and alot of fun. Well known for its magenta red violet radicchio, shellfish and fish.

Tuscany: Some of the best Evoo and Chocolate as well as 100% Sangiovese Red wines are some of the most important products of this enormous central region. A couple of the best known dishes of the region are Pollo Vin Santo, a chicken stew and Pasta Fagioli (beans).

Liguria, is renowned for its Pasta con Pesto, Fave and Patata ). Up in San Remo, one shall encounter some very fine dining and freshly caught fish and shellfish. They are also renowned for the Flat Bread, Focaccia (no yeast, no sponge in the interior). And, one must try the Focaccine, small dough pillows stuffed with sheep milk Ricotta.

Piedmont and Valle d´ Aosta: It is no secret that Piedmont has some of the best restaurants, however, what is emblematic are the White truffles of Alba. Bagna Cauda, a fonduta which serves as a dip for raw fresh vegetables is still very common. Valle d´Aosta on the other hand is well known for its meat stews and gnocchi and polenta.

Friuli Venezia Giulia: A stone´s throw from Slovenia, is a miraculous wine region and pure rural country style cuisine. Meats are renowned in their country rustic cooking. Quite distinct from the rest of Italia.

Sicilia: Some of the best fish (Amberjack) that we had was in Palermo. Simply exquisite. Pasta Norma, is the Official pasta dish of Sicilia. Definitely a wonderful island to eat on.

Trentinto Alto Adige: Alt Badia, renowned for its amazing Michelin Starred Chef Norbert Niederkofler, at the Ristorante St. Hubertus in the Santa Rosa Alpina Hotel, has been making waves in this rural treasure and small ski resort … The cuisine is a seamless merger of Northern Italian lightness and elegance and Austrian frontier products. The apple streudel is to die and go to heaven for …

My paternal side of my family ( great great grandmother was born and raised in Italy ). My grandmother who is still alive, and grandfather immigrated to Girona for business many many years ago.

So Italian cuisine in addition to Catalan cuisine and Spanish regional are the cuisines I grew up eating and still continue to prepare all three. My husband is Italian as well !!

So, our love for authentic Italian never ceases.

8 Likes

Thanks for this nice introduction, inspirational!

When I suggested Italian Cuisine, actually I have homemade pasta in mind, I’ll try to read more about Orecchiette from Apulia.

1 Like

I believe this is going to be great . American Italian. It’s all around us .

I was delighted to find this truc for making ridged pasta. I’d used butter paddles and gnocchi makers before, to mediocre results. But thisexcruciatingly simple method, using a sushi mat, works a charm.

Strascinati

17 Likes

Indeed! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Very clever use of a sushi mat. I’ll have to look for mine (it is in a drawer somewhere). I’m not sure why it is better than a gnocchi board though. What were the advantages for you? Just curious.

First, we ALL have to look in a drawer somewhere for our sushi mats. That’s where we keep “I can’t remember why I bought this” things!

The reason the mat works well is the row of knotted string. It works as a stop so that the pasta is thrust off the mat and a natural crevasse is formed.

3 Likes

my kitchen is generally buzzing with regional Italian, whether from my family’s regions and our traditional home cooking, or from other regions, or italian american (of which i’m a huge supporter).

One of my most made Italian dishes is SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS, which originates in southern Italy, particularly in Campania. Sweet or Hot Fresh pork Fennel Sausages are grilled, sauteed or roasted with sweet peppers and onions and served with bread, or potatoes. It’s become one of the most iconic ITalianAmerican foods when turned into a Hero (notice my NYC term lol, living in Jersey for 32 years, still refuse to call it a sub LOL ). In the picture is my SALSICCE E PEPERONI AL FORNO, roasted or baked Sausage and peppers. This is my simplest prep and each style offers a different taste and texture. ALL GOOD, no competition here. The peppers, i usually go with Cubanelles…they have the best flavor, i’d say the most “Italian” taste. Maybe because my mom used them for all her italian dishes… Green Bell Peppers were for American or other cuisines. Sliced onions, i like to use Vidalia when available…good olive oil. Locally made Sweet ITalian fennel Sausage… in the picture are ones I bought at Pastosa’s in Manasquan. I Get sausage around the corner at Jimmy Pecci’s Taste of Italy too in Tinton Falls/Wayside. Sea salt, peperoncino, mix it all together, pinch of oregano…(pinch)…and roast it in a hot oven, turning it a few times…it’s done when the sausage is nicely roasted and the peppers and onions are soft and sweet. Before serve i add a splash of Italian imported Red Wine Vinegar.

17 Likes

Thanks for this, Sausage, pepper and tomatoes is a frequent dish at our house, but DH has asked for a moratorium on tomato sauce. Serving this with potatoes instead of pasta opens an entirely new window.

2 Likes

I love cubanelles in sausage and peppers as well, although they are oddly sometimes difficult to find around here. I tend to use a mix of red and green if I can’t get cubanelles. I usually make it on the stovetop but I will have to try your oven method - no stirring required!

5 Likes

Great as a sandwich sans pasta too. We also make it parm’d with thick sliced fresh mozz cheese.

3 Likes

Sorry, but there are very few similarities between authentic classic Italian Regional Cuisines in Italy and North or South American or Asian Italian food or any other country. Totally different !

You can only experience this on an extended trip through Italy to know the true nuances and the products are so so different …

2 Likes

A typical authentic Italian dinner at home.

8 Likes

Been there .

4 Likes

Use a mold to make a nest…BRILLIANT. This alone worth the price of admission.

1 Like