ISO Tuesday night dinner recs. [Boston, Cambridge, points North]

Anyone have a thought or thoughts on where they would go to celebrate a special occasion. Food preference would be seafood - not lobster - , not Southern Italian (Christmas just past) nor Asian. Price is not a consideration, would like atmosphere to be elegant, soothing & celebratory. TIA !

1 Like

In Boston proper, or where?

Oops, left that out. Boston, Cambridge and points North. Driving is fine. Thank you, Gretchen.

1 Like

Mooncusser is fish forward. I was also going to suggest All That, but the website says they are temporarily closed, with no information regarding when they’ll reopen.

2 Likes

I haven’t been, but Waypoint?

1 Like

Three of my favorites: Chickadee, SRV and Puritan & Co. None specialize in seafood but all have very good seafood at each course. I offered a pescatarian friend her choice of any restaurant for her birthday dinner and she picked Puritan & Co before I finished my sentence.

3 Likes

Thank you, all. Will look at menus online & availability of reservation at short notice.

1 Like

How about Moeca in Cambridge? I’ve had a few nice meals there. Largely seafood driven with several pasta plates as well. Quiet dining room when i’ve visited.

5 Likes

Was just thinking Moeca.

3 Likes

I had a very nice dinner recently at Ostra. Nice setting with good service. Lots of seafood. We were a group of six so ordered and sampled a lot of the menu. Good stuff.

2 Likes

We had a very nice time at Eastern standard recently. It’s not seafood forward but across the way is their sister restaurant All That Fish & Oyster
The menu looks pretty interesting.

3 Likes

Some of my fellow Onions might question my sanity, but the 2nd floor at Legal Seafood Harborside is a very pleasant setting. Haven’t been in a couple of years, but I had a memorable meal last time.

Postscript- they used to have a separate menu for the second floor, but I don’t see it on their web site. Anyone been recently?

Post-postscript- scratch this recommendation. Found this on their web site:

The second floor hosts private events and parties with water views.

1 Like

We always did want to try that Legal Seaport second floor with the spectacular views and the special menu. I’m sorry we didn’t before the opportunity disappeared.

I wouldn’t choose Legal for a special occasion, but for us, it’s a better alternative than a random pub for a casual, simple, small meal of chowder and a salad/sandwich…especially because we live within two blocks of the Assembly Legal. We went today for the once-a-year special $1 cup of and $2 bowl of chowder, no minimum food charge to get it, and were reminded that the chowder is excellent. Enjoyed the Greek salad which is reasonably priced and much better than many casual/pub salads. Years ago I loved the tuna burger but it is no where near as tasty for my taste the last few years. We tried the clam flatbread recently and it was a good snack. For the rest of the month starting tomorrow, 2 lobster rolls for the price of one for Legal Rewards members.

I think it depends on expectations and what you are looking for at a specific time.

3 Likes

I’ll give Moeca a strong 3rd.

1 Like

Moeca is on my list. Reservation was unavailable until later in evening. One guest is an early (5 pm-ish) diner.

1 Like

Legal is simply not what is was since changing hands IMO. Enjoyed Legal Harborside, Kendall was my all time favorite with Northshore Mall a close second. Come to think of it Rte 9 Natick/Framingham was a solid place to meet and enjoy a fine meal. That tuna burger (with extra sauce on the side) and the portuguese fish stew, always excellent. Thank you all for your thoughts. It’s Puritan this evening.

4 Likes

I laughed out loud at the first part of this statement. We first went to Legal Harborside (the rooftop portion…3rd floor) when Spring Onion was a baby and we were desperate to get out of the house. It was where you went for small bites (such as maki rolls) but moreso for the drinks and a chill place to enjoy the harbor views. We were on the brink of losing our sanity as “older” parents with a baby…and it fit the bill. We went early, with the sun streaming in, music was pleasantly loud, server doted on Spring Onion. Never did the 2nd floor, but did the 1st floor several times with my parents, out-of-town guests. The validated parking didn’t hurt, either.

2 Likes

I haven’t dined here personally, but the new Hook + Line by the Seaport also has gorgeous views of the water. It’s seafood focus, and their menu looks homey and was described as modern New England. The space is nice, but probably would not be elegant. More like cozy casual.

4 Likes

That is a nice looking menu. Do you know how long they have been open?

Only a few months. I want to say maybe fall. Late summer and fall is a blur because it’s busy at work. They are right next door to where I work. They have a little seafood market next door, and that opened about a few weeks before the restaurant did

3 Likes