ISO Tuesday night dinner recs. [Boston, Cambridge, points North]

If money is not the concern, and you like seafood, would sushi fit the bill? Consider Umami in Cambridge. I celebrated my 45th Anniversary at their sushi bar. The 15 course tasting menu, which is all they have, celebrates their sourcing and taste of fish that I have never experienced before. They offer a sake pairing which educated and delighted us, as I had never thought of sake with the variety and complexity that complemented each bite. The evening was romantic, and personal. We did not need to choose, but just sat back and enjoyed top sushi masters at their game.

6 Likes

Thank you, Suki . It would fit the bill for me ! Not for the others. Will put on my to try with other more adventuresome eaters list.

2 Likes

Finally made it to Hook + Line for early dinner on Sunday. At first glance the menu seems to be comprised of the usual suspects, bluefish pate, branzino, lobster roll…But each turned out to be an inventive take. Bluefish pate was mainly smoked bluefish, more appealing than the (very good) rendition at Row 34. The whole roasted branzino was filleted but presented with skin and head and tail, covered with a piquant chili crisp. Lobster roll was served two ways (one half each), warm with a light hollandaise and cold with aioli. Tuna loin was a gorgeous fist sized hunk of fish, a cut I don’t recall seeing since East Coast Grill. Perhaps not surprising as I believe the chef is Chris Schlesinger’s nephew. The menu borrows some of he whimsy from the East Coast Grill menu, boasting of “big flavors”.

Cocktails include a variety of rickeys, not cloyingly sweet, and an eclectic wine list. We sampled a GrĂźner Veltliner and a Riesling, both crisp and dry and excellent with seafood.

The setting is pleasant, with views of the harbor and ICA. Many tables have comfortable banquettes. Service was efficient, in part because the restaurant wasn’t crowded, even by the time we departed a bit after 7. I hope they are doing better business during the week. This is a place we will add to our rota.

12 Likes

Your report on Hook + Line is reeling me in. Delightful to see traces of East Coast Grill lineage, which was one of my favorite restaurants in its day. H + L is now on my want-to-go-there list.

5 Likes

I went to Hook + Line for a sit down lunch last Thursday. It was a spendy little treat for a coworker celebrating a work anniversary. We really liked the space, but I was surprised they didn’t build the room with accordion doors that would allow air flow into the restaurant, especially with the lovely water view. We loved our food, but I will gripe a bit about the portion size of the fried clam lunch. I expected it to be light, but even the “full portion” - waiter said about 6 oz - that was maybe 6-7 clams. Yikes, and that was for $38. But the fried claims were well prepared and crunchy; their cole slaw though…is not good. That is the only thing I suggest to skip (this is the same cole slaw I had with my take out fish and chips).

During our service it was perhaps 6-7 tables seated. It was a cool day and this isn’t the usual pit stop for the worker’s lunch. When the weather warms up, I hope they attract more diners too. It’s a worthy pit stop, and I want them to stick around.

6 Likes

love your sense of humor ! “reeling me in” is pitch prefect IMO.

As an FYI the head chef is Mark Cina. I recall reading an article about him in The Boston Globe .
Chris Schlesinger’s nephew, Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli, owns Hook +Line as well as Alcove .

2 Likes

Great pedigree, stints at all-time favorites Upstairs at the Pudding, Craigie Street, and Yvonne’s.

1 Like

Took me a while to get the “reeling me in” humor.

1 Like