ISO Skin on bone in pork shank recipe

One additional ginger vs galangal reference from the kitchn

45 minutes to go, according to the recipe. It needs salt. Yes; I tasted it.
Uh-oh. Probably should have waited until I reduced the sauce.

4 Likes

Could not wait any longer.

6 Likes

Looks good .

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

That’s a big bite :smiley:
Looks very good in the first photo. What’s next? I mean how are you going to dish it up?

1 Like

So . . . … how did it turn out? Would you make it again? Should we all try it? Should I hang my head in shame for pointing you towards the recipe? :smiley:

1 Like

First let me say that it smells amazing, and even husband says it smells and looks good, although he would totally freak out at the words " soft and gummy".

I did cut (@Presunto, not bite! ) a piece off, and it was good, but not yet great.

I think it has the potential to be great, but needs some salt (or dark soy?), and I hope to finish later today (it is early AM here, but too much going on to sleep); first removing some solidified fat, maybe braising a bit longer, then removing meat from pot and reducing sauce.

If I can get in and out of the Asian Market with only Bok Choy…and ginger…and dark soy sauce…and rock sugar…and expensive rice mentioned on another thread…and shaoxing wine…and frozen bread for those little duck sandwiches…some sort of plating with bok choy is what I imagine.

3 Likes

I was joking with ya :smiley:

Impressive. When you have mastered this if you see it on a restaurant menu you can say “I think I can make it better”.

I like slow-cooked pork in a “Banh Mi” and have always wanted to know how the pork is cooked and spices used. I remember it being a little red or orange on the outside. Ate it in Vietnam and Vancouver, Canada.

Thank you!

I know, but for some reason I couldn’t pull up any emojis. Regarding banh mi, I’m mostly off white wheat bread, but I’d eat it if I could find some like I’ve had with some memorable banh mi.

I don’t understand what you mean by “canned”. Does that mean in a canning jar, preserved for storage without refrigeration?

You must mean about the pork shank that the Xiamen( Fujuan ) potential Chinese groom gives to the bride an her relatives, friends during engagement party? They come in a tin. ( Did I say canned?) Those are very tender, no bones attached, and the skin is really very very tender. Hmmm let me see where I posted it. OK, I posted it two day ago and I did say8 canned. Thimes did post the recipe. We usually use it not only the way Thimes’ posting suggest but we use it for sticky rice as well as stir fry rice vermicelli ( add some other vegetables such as broccoli slaw with carrots already in it is one of my easiest way to do it when I could eat pork)

1 Like

We braised them ( unless they come in the tin which is not necessary) until the gravy becomes gooey and thick. That is how my mother used to cook it, Very low heat as the bone will give you that thick gelatinous gravy.

1 Like

@Presunto “how are you going to dish it up?”

3 Likes

The “Galangal” used in Chinese Cooking is not the one referenced in the Kitchn Article.
Lesser Galangal or Sand Ginger is a cousin but looks and tastes quite different.
Lesser Galanga download
Regular Galanga

images

Also Indian Black Cardamom is not a good Sub for Chinese Black Cardamom as it is heavily smoked and the latter is not smoked at all.
You were right to sub the Green Cardamom

1 Like

Thank you so much!

This is what I used.

1 Like

Ahh, so sand ginger refers to lesser galangal. I always see the Chinese characters and never understood what that was. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Wow, so many tips here. Great, helpful thread!

1 Like

Yep that is not Sand Ginger/Lesser Galanga. I imagine the Flavor was quite strong and Thai’ish :confused:
You can occasionally find it fresh at Southeast Asian Grocers but not often. I would think for Chinese Applications the sliced, dried Sand Ginger ( 沙薑片 ) would be the best to use. It is easily found on line or in large Chinese Markets

1 Like

Making it again. Using berbere spice rub.

2 Likes