ISO Good Paper Coffee Filters

True. :slight_smile: But even two clicks on my grinder changes the flavor perceptibly. I’m using the Baratza Encore grinder for my drip (and moka pot) coffee, and the Quickmill 031 grinder for my espresso.
I think part of the equation is the grinder, but I also believe the coffee maker plays into what flavors end up in your cup. I’d expect the Wilfa to be a bit more sensitive to grind changes. :slight_smile:

It seems very sensitive to even minor adjustments. And I love my coffee and don’t want to change a thing. The filters don’t add any flavor either, which is good, and I have not noticed unwanted ground the last two days…

1 Like

Burr grinder or blade grinder? We should start a new thread on grinders

3 Likes

Burr hands down

Aside from cost, what is the drawback of a burr grinder? Cut too slow? I don’t have an electric burr grinder, but I have recently purchased a ceramic burr grinder for spices…etc (not coffee beans)

Burrs give a more consistent even grind without heat production that you get with the blade grinder. Cost is the only issue

Chem, do you drink coffee? :slight_smile:

The only thing I would add to Scubadoo’s statement is that some burr grinders are definitely more consistent and even than others.

Very true. I’m using a Mazzer Mini and at the coarser drip setting there is definitely a variation in particle size. Now at the finer settings for espresso it’s very even

1 Like

Actually, I don’t drink coffee on a regular basis, but I am just generally interested about these things. Moreover, I am interested if getting burr grinder is better for grinding whole spices and others. I suppose a burr grinder will yield a much more consistent particle size, whereas blade grinders will always produce some large and small pieces unless you blade grind everything to powder.

This is what I have now.

I have that same style by Hario for many years now and love it.

Hmmm, yes. I usually tell my friends with blade grinders to use them for herbs and spices, and get a burr grinder for coffee. But that’s only because they’ve already got a blade grinder. Without any grinder, I think your option is the better way to go. And, really, every salt/pepper grinder is a burr grinder.

Besides even particle sizes, a hand burr grinder should generate almost no heat (as Scubadoo mentioned) that would degrade the spice’s oils and flavors. If you decide to start grinding your own coffee, I’d strongly recommend a separate grinder just for doing that. :slight_smile:

Have you done the modification to stabilize the burrs? I bought this EvenGrind (Hario Skerton copy) that has already been redesigned to incorporate the stabilization. I haven’t tried it yet! I bought it for when the power goes out (happens once or twice each winter). :slight_smile:

I am thinking that too. I think for heavy and dense materials like coffee beans and peppercorns, a burr grinder will work. However, from my limited experience, light fluffy things do not do well with a burr grinder because it requires a certain force to push down into the grinder. So when I put a lot of the lighter objects into the burr grinder, the initial light objects will be ground because there are other things pushing them down, but the burr grinder will have trouble grinding the reminders.

No, I find a medium grind works best for me, so I haven’t been keen on the modification. If I ever switch to a French Press, I’ll probably get it.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/wilfa-paper-filters/

Thanks mrsdebdav - Yes, I saw this but it’s only available in California and has to be picked up. I’m in NY.