ISO Buttery Canola Oil

I used to consider canola the tilapia of oils. That was until I tried Trader Joe’s Canola Oil. I used it raw for its butter-like flavor. Unfortunately, TJ’s changed manufacturers and no longer stock that canola oil. I have purchased many brands from Wal-Mart and Whole Foods trying to find a canola of that quality, but haven’t had any luck. Does anyone know of a shop or online seller that stocks such a canola oil?

Do you mean this cooking spray?

I’ve never heard of canola oil being described as buttery before… !

Not the spray, the canola oil proper. It really tasted buttery. It was my secret weapon for mayonnaise and coating pasta for kids. It smelled a lot better, too, if you know what I mean. I made some popcorn a while ago and I can still smell the newer, “bad” TJ’s canola. (My peanut ran out and I had just canola and EVOO left.)

Old, good canola, YAY (pic from thatisnotfoodblog.wordpress.com)

New, bad canola, BOO

I wish i had better suggestions but maybe the 7% saturated fat (vs 5% in the new one) and made in canada will help you find similar…

Did you read this?

I tried figuring it out with those sorts of calculation, but no luck. I haven’t tried the Mezola Canola from the link you sent me, so I’ll add that to the list. Thanks.

Usually, I’d try and look for a similarly shaped bottle elsewhere, but I can’t find one like the original TJ’s Canola anywhere. And TJ’s won’t reveal details like if the manufacturer went under or if they had to switch manufacturers because their increasing number of stores required larger volumes of product.

I wonder if this is where TJ’s sourced their canola oil. This company claims 7% saturated fat. And they seem to do contract manufacturing and their bottles, although not identical, look similar.

http://www.canadian-pride.com/canola-oil.html

Thanks, seamunky. I’ll call and let you know what I find. I wonder if they still have to keep mum even if TJ’s uses someone else now. Maybe I’ll get a “we can’t confirm nor deny”.