Is veganism the new terrorism?

“Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch.” Emphasis on “bischen.”

I date it to 1979. Or thereabouts.

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks Yahoo “news” ( hopefully that’s not what it’s called) is the worst? I’ll admit there are several contenders. I ended up with what seems to be a yahoo email account, having started with Compuserve. Ignore this if it’s really off topic.

2 Likes

It’s not even in the top 50, worst-wise.

Good to know. Perhaps it seems like the worst to me, since I am confronted with Yahoo whatever, whenever I check my “pacbell” email.

I don’t really want to hear about the top 50 here. Sorry if it’s an off topic rant.

I refuse to pay Apple for access to their news so Yahoo comes up in my google news feed where I have food set as one of the areas of interest.
Actually, all news on the internet is irritating and lacking, a bad combination.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree, but I’d still rather read the news on the internet than watch it on live tv.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Feel exactly the same way @Miss_belle; TBH, I think most journalism across all media is in a pretty sorry state. Not all of it…yet. Not referring to it in a political way, just in the quality of writing, lack of depth and breadth, too much focus on entertainment and faux “stars”.

5 Likes

Is that because you get what you pay for? My D wanted to be a journalist. I have even more mixed feelings now than I did then. Hopefully this is on topic at least for what makes HO work.

Sadly @shrinkrap, I think it’s what sells, what’s easiest, short attention spans of targeted consumers, and the public providing video that becomes the news, among other factors. Truly systemic, as well as reflective of education becoming worse, in the sense that spelling and punctuation aren’t emphasized in school anymore, apparently, as well as basic grammar. The corporations are taking advantage of this and looking at the bottom line only, rather than any sort of journalistic integrity. The proofreaders/editors are MIA, of course; they aren’t valued. $$ will be spent on marketing or polls. Only put your people on the ground if there’s something truly sensational happening. Leave them in the same spot, covering the same thing repeatedly.
Same applies to publishing in the current age, IMO. Too many times, reading even highly lauded books, I find myself wondering where oh where was the editor? Youngest daughter was interested in a journalism major, but was in fact, advised against it.

I guess in a way, we’re getting not only what we pay for, but what we’re willing to put up with, and I don’t see things changing for the better, anytime in the near future, anyway.

I do believe forums such as this, and other similar platforms, have become a good way to report our own experiences, and to learn of others in our big and diverse country.

To keep this slightly OT, radical veganism is somewhat disturbing to me, as well as the high moral ground some of them want to stand on; like any other cause, or belief, live the way you want, but don’t impose it on me. There’s room for all of us, here, as well as the planet. I’ve got vegan friends I’ll happily cook for, but wouldn’t if I felt I was being judged for my choices, or if I felt they were trying to change what I choose to eat. Note, I’ve only been following this thread loosely, so apologize if I’ve re-stated what’s been said already, with regards to original topic. :upside_down_face:

1 Like