Is it safe to cut winter squash with a mini hacksaw?

I haven’t gone through the comments but there might be some useful tips here:

Not sure if anybody already mentioned it but probably the best long term solution would be to use “stainless steel butcher blades” that are specifically engineered for food contact.

They make them for Hacksaws & Reciprocating Saws (SawZall).

The basic butcher hacksaw is also engineered to be food safe.

but a Sawzall is a horrible kitchen tool – wrong tool for the job, underlined and exclamation point, bordering on the downright dangerous.

A hacksaw for peeling a squash is also a horrible choice – another case of wrong tool for the job.

There is simply no reason to go to the time or expense of buying a food-safe tool when it’s not the right tool for the job to begin with – especially since the only difference in those tools from a manufacturing standpoint is that one is machined with different fluids and probably not painted.

1 Like

I agree Sunshine, better tools in the toolbox for the task at hand.

A good butchers saw (food safe hacksaw w/a stainless Steel Blade) is an inexpensive multi tasking tool though.

Wish I had a food safe SS sawzall blade many moons ago when I was an avid hunter.

A sawzall is a demolition tool. It is for hacking, not for clean cuts.

The fact that butchers don’t use them is an indication of their inappropriate design…Milwaukee would most assuredly have made a spaecial butchers’ version (of machine or blades) had there been demand.

Hand held power saws with reciprocating blades are widely used by butchers & also used to remove the head/tail of large fish.

While I agree 100% that the manufacture’s intended use of a sawzalls is construction, many hunters use them to break animal carcasses which is where the SS blade comes in handy. I am sure some clever folks have even modified tree pruning blades that have a higher profile to fit their sawzalls.

1 Like

After lost of experimentation on fresher squashes, I figured out the issue. My Chef’s Choice electric sharpener was broken. It’s used by everyone and takes a lot of abuse, so I had my suspicions. Took my knives to be professionally sharpened and it was night and day difference. I’m just glad it wasn’t because I was getting old. On a hard, flavorless squash, the hacksaw works to cut it in half, but otherwise, a really sharp knife will always win, and it’s the easiest for peeling regardless. Large pumpkins with really hard skin were no longer available so I’ll test those when fall rolls around.

I use the squash in stews and soups a lot, so I need even sized pieces that will cook evenly.

I’m switching to other sharpening methods as soon as I get a chance, but I still need to replace this electric sharpener for others to use. Any recommendations? I didn’t sharpen my expensive Japanese chef knives on it, but otherwise it’s used for every other type of knife (probably shouldn’t be, but it is.) From Victorinix, Henckels, to cheapo Kiwi brand; from paring, boning, chef’s, to cleavers; and everything in between.