Is cookware (not Cookware) in the Doldrums?

It’s WMF’s technology and their version of the cookware has been out since at least 2018. Both All-Clad and WMF are owned by Groupe SEB.

https://aboutwmf.com/en/wmf-press-post/wmf-consumer-en/made-in-germany-en/the-innovative-material-from-wmf-fusiontec/

The WMF Fusiontec line is considerably more extensive. All-clad only offers AFAIK 2 frying pans, a braiser, a Dutch oven, and a stockpot.

1 Like

Thanks, Meekah.

Here’s what Kaleo said:

" I see no new technologies being trumpeted, no stellar adaptations being touted, no better mousetraps. My sense is this applies to cookware, smallwares, cutlery, basically everything culinary."

Does “fusiontec” get us out of Kaleo’s Doldrums?

Ray

No.

And almost all of the reviews on Amazon are Vine reviews in exchange for a free product, and thus offer less than trustworthy information to a potential buyer. WMF is very coy on its website about the “technology” of Fusiontec. Their lawyers obviously went over the copy and littered its claims with asterisks.

What about Diamond resin sharpening stones?

Ray

No.

And that surely doesn’t meet the OP’s criteria, either

Why do you prefer stainless (opaque) lids to glass lids? I like to see what’s going on.

Too often glass lids sit in the lip and seal, sputtering as the heat rises.

Applying ceramics to steel isn’t new, and it certainly isn’t an advance.

Remember Chantal Copper Fusion? Of course you don’t.

1 Like

Just trying to keep you out of the doldrums, Kaleo . . . . . .

I appreciate the effort, Ray.

Other than the G3 attempt, A-C really hasn’t had a legit advance in years. That hasn’t stopped them from flailing around, though.

Considering that the average lag between proof-of-concept and consumer availability is 6 years, one would have thought there’d be more in the industry pipeline.

Hi Bruce,

The infrared does the trick for me. It heats the three pots that my Vollrath units reject perfectly and quickly–and it’s light and portable. I’m keeping it on top of my toaster oven.

1 Like

Hi Evelyn,

Great question. I have SS lids for most SS pots and pans, but I have glass for my Staub “perfect pan” wok, and my demeyere poacher. I agree that it’s nice to be able to see, but my SS are lighter and safer–though I haven’t damaged either of my glass lids–and they clean up fine.

Ray

The moment technology makes a better mouse trap or something idiot-proof consumers produce a better mouse or a better idiot. But there is a saturation point.

I think this is true in many consumer areas such as mobile phones, tablets, watches, etc…

1 Like

Thanks Ray, I’ll be looking to find one around here.

1 Like

Hi RD,

Great comment–not my quote. We are continuously being offered alternatives in dumb downed versions of advanced technology that are thought to be saleable–that don’t make that much difference in our lives.

The more advanced versions might make too much difference for most of us–and not in a good way.

1 Like

There’s that. And IMO there’s very little to the putative “seeing things” advantage of glass covers. Every glass cover I’ve cooked under formed condensation that obscured the pan contents. The best I can say about them is that–sometimes–you can see that there’s something in the pan.

2 Likes

I love flattish lollipop lids precisely because they do not seal. If I need a lid to seal, like for a braise, I just snagged a nineteenth century daubiere that ought to work, especially with a sheet of parchment and water on the top!

;0)

1 Like

Wow, let’s see the daubiere!

Back to covers… I have a c1950s US-made, bare cast aluminum 3Q saucepan I use a lot at the beach house. Its cover, also bare, is stepped at the rim, and its mating surfaces (and the pan rim’s) are very precisely machined. It’s not a tight fit, but tight enough that it would seal as you describe. The saving grace is that the cover has an adjustable vent that prevents sealing and boilovers. One of the reasons I would never part with this pan is that simmers and boils are instantly “readable” from afar. Another is that the handle and cover knob are made of wood.

I contend that cookware had not really improved on tinned copper.

6 Likes

OMG, I can’t spot a single flaw. It looks like it was made yesterday! It’s astoundingly beautiful.

What’s your feeling about putting live coals in the cover?