Instant Pots out of stock

I still like to do Cuban black beans stove top. There is more depth of flavor compared to when I tried a pressure cooker

2 Likes

I just came across this, maybe interesting for those who own this pot.

(FYI: I don’t own this pot.)

That only applies to certain models. The newer models don’t have this removable part. I know mine doesn’t (I checked).

Not sure why people wouldn’t clean a part the manual tells you to clean after each use!

I can’t find a link to it, but there’s a new trend in quirky crocheted IP cozies, complete with contests sponsored bynyarn businesses.

I was in a consigment shop here last week and they had 5 insta-pots sitting on the shelf for sale. I didn’t check the price.

Off topic but I couldn’t figure out where else to put this. My sister’s dog is completely freaked out by the beeping on her Instant Pot and thanks to Google we were able to de-beepify it: no more beeps
It is awesome for cooking dried beans and chickpeas which is what we are using it for right now. Zahav’s Hummus Tehina coming up…

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

The Instant Pot Max being released next month reportedly holds 15 PSI and does sous vide (for real this time.) Additionally, reports suggest it can be used for canning!

interesting!

So it was like 8-10 psi?

I think it was 12 psi before.

1 Like

Had a friend over today. She was raving about the Instant Pot. I never understood when people say “if it gets more people cooking at home etc” because if its not good food, does it matter. But after a quick interrogation, I understand. It fully automates the pressure cooking process. In fact, the average user doesn’t want to know or care that it’s a pressure cooker. Just that it can make an acceptable meal in a reduced amount of time; the opposite of a slow cooker, a fast cooker, if you will.

1 Like

I think you said it. It is a matter of the reference point. If you are already cooking and making amazing foods, and you care about good foods, then Instant Pot is a step backward for you. If you don’t have good cooking skill and don’t care too much, then Instant Pot will make your life easier – a step forward for you. If you have the good skill, but you absolute do not have time, then you are somewhere in between.

Not the same exact analogy, but frozen foods are like that. Most frozen food meals are not that great. Yet, they are quiet popular. Most supermarkets have at least entire aisle for them. They are quick, super easy… etc.

1 Like

This is so true. Also, you can put cheap cuts of meat in an IP, yet end up with incredibly tender meat at the end. Even those mystery “stew beef” supermarket packs. It’s quite impressive, and useful when feeding many teenagers.

2 Likes

Don’t own an IP but have a stove top pressure cooker. Pressure cookers are useful reguardless if it’s stove top or electric. Stove top cookers cook at a higher temp so cooking times are less than electric

Sometimes you just don’t have the time to wait

1 Like

Instant Pot is a cult. It’s a multifunctional device and like most such doesn’t do anything well.

Specifically, I won’t give up my stovetop for an InstantPot for two reasons. First, the 10qt size. Second, I can use it under a range hood.

2 Likes

Which gets more use - your IP or Fagor?

My Instant Pot nowadays. I Don’t cook in huge quantities, so the 6qt capacity is fine. And I like that I don’t have to fidget with the heat setting to make sure its not too low or too high. No steam venting means I dont have to worry about the kids and the dog getting burned or having the cooker explode while I run to the bathroom (yes, that hapoened to me a few years ago, and I stopped using my PC for a while.)

My dog has been ill and has no appetite so I’ve been making bone broth for her to get some nutrition into her. It was 120 degrees here on Friday, and I made the brith in my IP, which cooked for 2.5 hours on high. Didn’t heat up my kitchen at all.

1 Like