Instant Pot Dutch Oven: What do you think?

Yeah. I have two shoyu ramen places I like. One of the two is very salty, so what I learn is that… for some ramen, the idea is not to drink the soup/broth.

Yeah, I have two of those too.

For the occasions which I make those Chinese sausage rice or Lap duck rice dishes.

For congee, same as you, I do it the tradition way where I cooked the rice for probably closer to 3+ hours until the rice barely dissolved (I think it is called “opening flower” in Chinese. Yes, the liquid start to thicken, the rice grains start to crack open up.

2 Likes

This is not really combining them - it’s just an electric dutch oven, no pressure.

If they had actually combined them, I’d want it.

I don’t see much difference between this, All Clad’s version, Vermicular, or even Nesco (aside from the ceramic in that case).

1 Like

Think it’s overpriced. You already own a slow cooker if you ever wanted one. Buy a reasonably priced pressure cooker. I have electric and stovetop and prefer the stovetop. I use the electric when I’m not going to be close to the kitchen to monitor.

True

Actually most pressure cooker reach higher pressure than instant pots

2 Likes

A regular pressure cooker isn’t a short cut cooking machine but similar to other cooking methods, e.g. regular pots, sous vide etc., just another way of cooking things in a certain way which can’t be accomplished by other methods. Similar to for example sous vide you can’t do certain things with regular cooking pots/pans what you can do with sous vide (or pressure cooker). Non of these methods is better or worse (or has less soul or character) but they just deliver different results and all require understanding of each technique.

1 Like

I have a stove top pressure cooker, which I use to make chicken stock from all the bones saved. Takes about an hour at pressure to get as much as those bones will deliver. Vents quickly. The IP will take 4 hours and a crazy amount of time to cool even vented before it will open. Ain’t got time for that!

And it takes up a lot of room in the cabinet. I’m not a big user of a pressure cooker in the first place. Stock is about the only thing I use it for. Dried beans I’ll do in a Dutch oven. Soups and stews, stove top in a regular pot where I can see what’s happening and taste to adjust seasoning

And another pev is the IP takes up a lot of room in the cabinet. I don’t want it as a resident on the counter top

I didn’t know that…
Glad I stayed with my stove-top pressure cooker. I can always run it under cold water and inside of 30 seconds it makes that sound and the pressure is released. I can open it and serve dinner!!

Obviously this is a gross exaggeration, just in case someone actually takes it seriously.

I have multiple stovetop pressure cookers that I use regularly, but the IP still has convenience and features that they do not provide (there are other threads on this, so we don’t need to rehash).

There’s a quick pressure release on the IP that enables the exact same outcome, without hauling a full PC into the sink.

Fwiw, I “quick release” my stovetop pc as well, just jiggle the weight a bit at a time (with a long-handled something) for the pressure to release faster. (Drives my mom nuts, because part of the energy efficiency of the PC is that the cool-down time is cooking time too.)