Ingredients that caused revelations

TJ’s also had truffle mustard last Christmas. White crock but same shape as Maille…draw your own conclusions.

Trader Joe’s is often very good with knock-offs. I’m a big fan of their table water crackers, and I’ll keep an eye out for that fancy mustard. Target is another source. I recently scored a box of excellent Woven Wheats (aka “triscuits”).

I actually bought that, and loved it- but it was just a nice potent dijon, nothing truffley about it. Not even truffle oil flavor detectable.
I agree TJs does some excellent knock offs and private label items but that one specifically missed the mark

Makes a terrific potato salad with lots of parsley and/or cilantro

Toum, a very airy garlic spread. Amazing on warm bread and as an unexpected dip. First time I exp it was in CA at a deli.

Pomm molasses. Slathered on a chicken or brushed on skewered chicken. A savory tart alternative to barbq sauce

Hummus in all its crazy variety. From chickpea to chocolate. I enjoy the condiment immensely.

Tahini. Alone, added to dips, on roasted veg and in cookie recipes.

I was late to the party on all of these but use them with a smile now.

3 Likes

So easy to make

Lately, I am enjoying Penzey’s Krakow Nights Polish style Seasoning. Salt, black and white pepper, sugar, coriander, garlic, mustard, marjoram, mace, savory.
Good on eggs, roasted potatoes, and various meats.

3 Likes

This thread rocks!

So I finally got around to picking up a canister of CJ Haechandle Gochujang. How does everyone use this? I have some basic ideas but I’m looking to hear your thoughts. TIA

1 Like

I cut the paste with white miso or soy or pbutter for a dip. Even mixed in plain yogurt. Its delicious on any protein, added to dip, soup, rice water when cooking a batch, vegetable stir fry, any place you enjoy heat. Use with a light hand until you figure out how much you want.

Last time I made Asian meatballs I added the paste to the meat mix and the dipping sauce.

1 Like

I love Costco’s Morey marinaded wild Keta Salmon that comes in 6 individually wrapped packages . Although it is not sockeye, if properly handled on the boat and processing, Keta is still very good, firm flesh .For the price and ease in cooking, we now prefer it to wild alaskan sockeye. Just defrost the package I. water for 20- minutes and ready to cook!!

I pan grill the salmon on a slightly greased (olive oil ) iron skillet , plate the salmon when cooked.

In the meantime before searing the salmon, I reserve the marinade, add some water to it, and a tablespoon or two of Gochuchang to pepper paste ( based on your taste).

I also presoak cellophane noodles in warm or hot water for 15 minutes till soft, drain it before cooking the salmon

Using the same iron skillet, I add EVOO, a piece of smashed ginger, spring onions and garlic, add the cellphone noodles, then the reserved juice, for approximately a few minutes till cellphone noodle is cooked. add a lug of sesame oil, plate it and scoop Laogan Ma spicy chili crisp on top of the cellphone noodles.

3 Likes

Duk Bok Key

Or bibimbap

If you don’t like Korean food, which is what I use it for, you can use it as a hot sauce or as a replacement for sriracha sauce. It’s a bit sweeter than other countries hot sauces. A lot of people put them in tacos.

1 Like

I’ve seen guochujang bbq sauce which could be awesome, just mix a spoon into your favorite bbq sauce. Taste as you go to avoid blowing your head off…!
I’m wimpy and have a guochujang ketchup i bought that’s tasty, balances the sweetness of the ketchup but doesn’t make me cry

Saw this sweet thread for first time today. I know most mentioned ingredients, but the mentions of preserved lemons strike me (new to me)

I’l second dried porcini mushroom, and I savor the soaking liquid for broth (I put it in ice-cube trays for sauces and braises, etc., later)

Also, fish sauce, which is storable and more-or-less the same as anchovies, which are also great for soups and braises, as well as the usual Asian preps.

A new item on the list: recently I used a Spanish denomiation-controlled pepper flake called “Piment d’Espellete.”

Had never heard of it before, but used it to make Basque Chicken for the first time. It’s an extraordinary chile flake: not immediately hot, but rich and lingering in a way wholly new to me. I think it could be a staple in all kinds of things: chops, eggs, pizza…

I’m also getting more into Asian condiments and techniques. A whole world there, from the familiar soy sauces and sriracha stuff to things like fermented black-bean paste and shrimp paste. Were I not stranded in the midwest, I’d go on at length about Asian fresh greens, but I just can’t get them much.

5 Likes

I tried it for the first time yesterday. I did some chicken kebabs and brushed them with the pepper paste cut with evoo…probably a waste of decent oil but oh well. I definitely like the flavor. I will have to report back with some other findings

1 Like

I have to give it up for salt and pepper. And the spice trades .:clap:

I think it lasts for basically ever wrapped well in the fridge too. And IIRC there are various varieties of guochujang, they seem to range from mild to really spicy

+1 all the great ideas already mentioned!

Also anywhere you would use a marinade or sauce for meat, a tbsp of gochujang will amp it up. Buffalo wings/meatballs/cauliflower -> gochujang (thin with some water, rice vinegar, honey to balance). Pork chops, chicken thighs/legs, tofu, chicken salad, stir-fry, fried rice, dipping sauce (mayo/sour cream)… so many applications!

2 Likes

The Korean bbq sauce I’ve been using recently - on wings and ribs …

3 cloves minced garlic
3 Tbs gochujang
1/2 tsp Korean chili powder (gochugaru but could use red pepper flakes)
2 Tbs soy sauce (I like a dark soy sauce which has a slight molasses type flavor but regular soy works fine)
1/2 Tbs cider vinegar (or rice wine vinegar)
2 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs water
1 tsp sesame oil

Combine it all and simmer until combined and thickened slightly. 5-10 minutes maybe, never really time it.

This makes enough for a couple pounds of wings so I often triple it to have left overs. (Triple fills a pint canning jar about).

I will also say it is much hotter when I taste it plain than when it is on wings and ribs. (I use extra hot gochujang). Most people end up saying it wasn’t that spicy when they have it on the food but my family likes spicy.

(Can’t remember where I got the recipe or I’d give credit)

8 Likes

Im looking at those volumes and maybe I make 6x the recipe for a pint jar … clearly I wing this recipe more than follow it meticulously.

I wing it plenty, its nice to have a guideline.

1 Like