Ingredients that caused revelations

that is it.
It is really fantastic as a substitute for Italian Dressing if you like spicy things
SHAKE IT EACH TIME
Tuba ( aged coconut vinegar) should be healthy
I like to spray EVV on my veggie, ( romaine lettuce or mixture of eggplants, brussel sprouts, squash grill them then dip it with this
I also like it as part of my soy sauce, garlic and sesame oil dip for my dim sum
I do not know if it will ever come back down to $1.69 but this is a great buy .

I forwarded this finding to my sonā€™s friend who has been to our home for dinner and really loved Pinoy Spice from Datu Puti.
I gave her a bottle and told her that I had been unable to get more.
She was the one who discovered this from Walmart and forwarded it to my son.

@rooster
@naf

I had a question from rooster as to which Datu Puti as rooster saw two kinds at Walmart.
Hope rooster gets this

This is the only tuba vinegar i found on the site:

I tried retracing my steps but only found this today. It might have even been the bottle art was dark in one shot and light in anotherā€¦

Too long ago for confirmation now. Sorry.

here it isā€¦

We have a large Asian neighborhood in Vegas with several large grocery stores, and once I discovered fish sauce, I was hooked. I was still hooked even after knowing how itā€™s made! About the same time, I discovered that anchovies werenā€™t just for pizza (to be picked off :grin:) or Caesar salad, but could be used in a variety of dishes. Once I found flaked kosher salt and other natural salts, I have not had the commercial table salt in my home. Not for years!

that is it.
Date Puti is a trademark just like Del Monte
They also sell vinegar etc.

pls look at the picture that sick sent me
That is the Datu Puti Pinoy spice I am referring to
Date Puti is a trade name, like Del Monte who sells, pineapple, fruit cocktail etc.

Salt

1 Like

this is not what I meant
Date Puti is a trademark like Del Monte
They sell many kind of food item
The Datu Puti Pinoy Spice ( 375 ml) from Walmart, picture posted by sick is it
That is the coconut vinegar with spices that I like
The picture you showed is one of their vinegars but it is not coconut vinegar and I do not believe there are spices in there. It is easily found in Asian Supermarket. It is the Pinoy Spice that became scarce bec of trade was in the Philippines

Thanks for the added info.

Well last night I was gifted a jar of Maille black truffle mustard, not the regular grocery type but a special crock (Iā€™ll post a link). We decided to have it on burgers and I have to say it was lovely - just the right amount of mustard heat and a nice truffle (not truffle oil) taste. Yummy. I had never seen it before.

1 Like

Interesting, just looked at the ingredients, there are really truffle in it. There is a Maille shop here, I might be able to get a jar to test it out.

1 Like

Like some above my epiphanies have roots in simple items. Ginger, fennell, sweet chili sauce, fresh homegrown herbs, homegrown tomatoes, ā€¦ Iā€™m sure there are others.

To answer the OP, not just pesto made from basil, but lately Iā€™ve been making pesto from any green herb or vegetable on hand and its been a revelation! I prefer basil, but spinach pesto, broccoli pesto, compost green pesto is tasty and inexpensive, since it was the bits and ends I was going to throw out.

My latest epiphany has been real Sichuan Peppercornsā€¦ so, so so delicious!

And this may belong in the Food Confessional Thread, but I love Sabatinoā€™s truffle zest and salt. I buy it in bulk at Costco and I put it ramen and braises, mushroom pasta dishes, etcā€¦ Iā€™m sure itā€™s nothing like Mailleā€™s though.

2 Likes

For those without a Costco membership, Trader Joeā€™s also sells truffle salt (ingredients: Himalayan salt, natural white truffle flavor, freeze dried summer truffle). Itā€™s very nice on eggs.

2 Likes

If youā€™re in a store Iā€™d ask for a taste to make sure you like it - it isnā€™t a cheap pot of mustard . . . but I did enjoy it.

1 Like

You have awesome friends!
For a while we had a Maille store on the UWS in nyc, it was my wonderlandā€¦ I donā€™t recall seeing this one but they had a huge variety including a great walnut mustard. I bet it would be a nice addition to an eggy sandwich or a white wine and butter based pasta sauce

Preserved lemons! I love the Les Moulins Mahjoub brand sold at Sur La Table. I add the brine to any sauce that needs a little punch, and I also like adding it to broth when I make quinoa.

1 Like