Induction range, opinions?

Currently have a slide in glass top Bosch range which I hate. Worst stove I’ve ever owned. The replacement could be another electric, induction or possibly gas (would need a gas line from the street to the house, not sure of that cost). Induction was becoming the first choice but read of buzzing noise, easily scratched top, error messages with expensive repairs and not being able to use my thermapen🥺.
What’s your experience? Have they improved reliability?
Are induction ranges another 5 year fail appliance? Thanks :pray:

I have a single induction burner and really like cooking on it. It took some adjustment of course but once I figured it out I really liked it. One consideration is that only about half my cookware works on it. (You can check if it will by holding a magnet to the bottom of a pan.) I use enameled cast iron most of the time now. No problems with scratching or noise. I’m not sure I have used my thermapen but see no reason it would not work. Now, if I won the lottery and were outfitting my dream kitchen, it would contain a Wolf gas range plus an induction burner and electric wall ovens but failing that I think induction is a good way to go.

2 Likes

Mine is a Siemens, 5 heat system that is 10 years old, never has any problem.

Well depends if your kitchen is an open design, the booster can create some buzzing sound, but those very high heat usually lasts several minutes, when you lower to medium or even medium high heat, the buzz sound is nearly gone. I have to admit that the main fire of this 10-year old makes slightly more sound that when it was new.

If you like to slide your pots and pans across the glass top, induction might not be for you. Beware of seafood shells with sand. I don’t have much problem with scratches.

I once asked an electrical appliances technician, the number one problem with induction top was to repair broken glass.

I’m not a fan. I can hear the switching power supply. Same cleaning problems as any other smoothtop with boilovers. Broken glass. Failed controllers. Fewer options for cookware.

For all its failings, induction is better than resistive or halogen electric. Gas is much more pleasant to cook on.

Talk to your gas utility about programs for the gas line from the street. In my case in a previous home by moving two appliances to gas (I did cooktop and water heater) I didn’t have to pay anything for the feeder. When my heat pump failed I moved that to gas as well.

Gas can be an upgrade and so costs increase the basis of your home which is a tax break when you sell someday.

Induction range have been used for over 50 years in France , one Restaurant , Pic in Valence Drome was on the fore front of that revolution . I do not know if they still use them . I moved 40 years ago.

I have an induction range. We don’t have gas in my house.

I was lucky, all of my cookware worked on it.

Negatives: Yes, it does buzz at high temps, but it’s not unbearable. The lower the temp, the lessen the buzz. It is prone to scratching, so just be aware and a little bit careful.

Positives: lightening fast changes in temperature. Go from a rolling boil to off in seconds. Infinite temperature control, in small increments that allows you to simmer at just the right level. I love this feature when I’m using my pressure cooker and want just the tiniest wisp of steam escaping. Clean up is a breeze, especially when frying food. I just cover the stovetop with paper towels, then place the pans on top and fry away! No risk of fire and to clean up I just crumple the towels up and toss them.

As someone for whom a gas range wasn’t possible, I’m overjoyed at the performance of my induction range over my previous electric range. If I moved somewhere with gas, I’d still choose the induction range.

4 Likes

I have a 2 “burner” Wolf induction cooktop that was given to me about 7 years ago by somebody remodeling their kitchen, so it’s likely 12 years old or more. I love it and use it daily to boil water, make steel cut oats and also for sauces. It’s high quality glass so it hasn’t scratched or shattered - but my 11 year old makes me nervous when she plops the cast iron down to make eggs. I also have a circa 1950 Wedgewood gas oven so the induction isn’t my only option. I’m with @GretchenS, I like having gas and induction, so the 2 burner is perfect for me. I installed it on a counter away from the main stove so 2 people can cook without getting in each other’s way in my small kitchen.

2 Likes

Elsieb,

Induction technology is different in lots of ways–mostly positive–but it’s been domesticated to behave as if it were a gas range with benefits. Part of the domestication is software to protect both you and the stove from too rapid increases in temperature. Another part is to emulate previous gas or electrics with simplified controls.

I use two Vollrath Induction units that have both “energy” and “temperature” modes. They’ve worked perfectly for the last four years and give incredible control over cooking temperature. My tops are not scratched, and there is only an occasional “humm” noise with a pot or pan. I did select a completely new arsenal of induction friendly pots and pans, but induction compatibility is becoming almost a necessity with manufacturers these days. You should not have any difficulty finding some to buy.

Ray

3 Likes

It should be noted that this varies from one cooker to the next and from person to person. Just about everyone can hear noise between the pan and the glass induced by electromagnetic force. Some people are more sensitive to the switching power supplies embedded in the cooktop. I feel that in my teeth as much as hearing it.

1 Like

Thanks all for your thoughts. I am still undecided but I do have 3 huge old pots that I love that are not inductionable;). The dual fuel ranges are being considered.

1 Like

If you’ve the possibility to keep a real fire and an induction top, that will be a good solution for you. Do you have friends with induction. Maybe testing that out will confirm your doubt and your need.

I live in a zone that gas supply is not allowed. Looking back I’ve to admit I was very reluctant to pass on to only electricity cooking when deciding where to move. H even proposed that we could order gas bottles if I wanted to keep one real fire.

I missed using clay pot, round bottom wok or the inability to try copper ware, but that’s about it. When helping out cooking in others’ home, I remark that large volume of water needs much longer time to heat up than at home.

Sounds like the right solution for you. My pre-induction and post induction collection changed dramatically. I now cook in a world of cladded stainless and enameled cast iron.

Ray

Vollrath designs for the commercial restaurant and the caterer. When one uses their solution properly, there is no noticeable humming.

That’s been my experience.

Ray

This https://www.electronicdesign.com/power-management/article/21799057/troubleshoot-a-flyback-supply-that-generates-audible-noise is the issue. Audibility varies from person to person. Power supplies without filter capacitors and that are in plastic boxes, installations that don’t have independent conductors to system ground, and a general lack of shielding can lead to noise that some people can’t hear and that make others go mad.

I think it is important to cook on an induction cooktop before buying it and to stay on top of the details of installation.

I’m not a fan of plug-in portable burners for residential applications.

Portable residential induction units are a fact of life all over the world. You’ve been outvoted.

Ray

People do lots of silly things. They used to put pennies behind blown fuses.