Induction experience

We’d apply a generalization of those “certain types” as analog, where the chef takes cues from flame shape/size/color and relates those to what the pan is giving off in sights, sounds, smells, etc. Digital would be trying to relate a readout to same observations. We’re analog; (and while we appreciate most of its electronics, our car’s digital speedometer lamely serves the driver – glancing at a dial’s needle was so much quicker and informative than taxing our teeny brain’s plodding CPU to relate that number to what is happening with the car.)

1 Like

Not to mention charring food directly on the flame. I char eggplant, sweet peppers, chiles, tomatoes, corn on the cob, etc. on the flame for the wonderful smoky flavor.

Here is a fantastic recipe that employs the technique.

1 Like

The expense would be untenable for all but the largest chains.

I need to replace the breaker box in my house. I got a quote from an electrician for $10,000.00.

There are far more effective measures that people can take to reduce greenhouse gasses than switching from gas to electric appliances.

The best things individuals can do is reduce or stop beef consumption and discontinue air travel. Although these measures would reduce greenhouse gasses, cities aren’t banning beef consumption and air travel.

1 Like

What? This is nonsensical. I’d prefer no one go OOB. You seem to think that would be no big deal if they did.

Also nonsensical. You fantasized aloud about induction woks using liquid-cooled high power coils. That’s the industrial use employed in metal smelters. And by the way, the frequency is different, so these nonexistent wok burners you propose might not work with existing woks or put to use in “regular” cooking.

No, who said that? Global warming is a serious problem. But banning gas appliances (or wood cookery) in restaurants that depend on that mode? Why not just ban new ICE cars and aircraft? I’d be a lot more sympathetic to this thinking if a reasonable alternative existed, but it doesn’t.

Yes, indeed. The largest polluters by far are commercial aircrafts.

1 Like

I cannot like this enough.

Here’s a money quote form this Bloomberg article.

Home kitchens thus account for about 0.4% of U.S. natural gas use. Burning natural gas was responsible for an estimated 36% of U.S. carbon-dioxide emissions in 2020, so residential natural-gas cooking’s share of those emissions comes in at less than 0.2%. That’s not a lot!

2 Likes

Hi ipsedixit,

Both home and commercial users have already been using induction for some time–at all levels of technology and cost. It is unlikely that gas vs. induction will ever be either/or, but gas users are already finding uses for induction.

The Chinese have always been outstanding in finding ways to adapt–and I’m certain they will find more and more ways to use induction, but I’m also sure that they will continue to integrate “flame” if needed, into their bag of tricks.

Asian restaurants are already using induction units at the table to maintain a simmer on their hot pots. Vollrath has won an award for a commercial device that keeps soup warm.

As a home cook, I’ve adapted to induction–and enjoy kit a great deal.

Ray

1 Like

Interesting article, thanks. Also note the survey indicates LA at over 80% of then-current homes using gas stoves.

Wonder if the LA City Council will get challenges to this new ordinance?

Yes, I’m sure there will be challenges. But as I understand it, the ban will be prospective. They’re not coming for your Garland, but you can’t replace it.

In 2019, 38% of California’s electricity already was made by burning fossil fuel, and a much larger share of LA’s juice came from 3 gas-fired plants. https://poweringcalifornia.com/californias-electricity-grid-explained/#:~:text=But%20where%20does%20that%20power,–%20Scattergood%2C%20Haynes%20and%20Harbor. To add insult to injury, LA has also banned utilities from adding wind turbines.

Hi CCE,

The OP was interested in replacing her “dead” gas stove with a new induction unit, but was stymied by apparent electrical switchover problems–not the phasing out over time of gas services in SOCAL over an extended period of time.

Even if gas were phased out here in SOCAL, there is no guarantee that users required to rely on electricity would choose induction–nor is there much likelihood that commercial restaurants would be totally separated from gas. Like everything else, it will be an evolving process

This thread has been diverted from a practical home cook discussion to a philosophical discussion of the supposed consequences of changing energy availability.

I’d prefer to talk about the increasing practical use of induction in the home kitchen.

Ray

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Well, Ray, it was you who diverted it in the direction of SOCAL energy politics when you wrote:

“I live in South Pasadena, about 12 mi. from downtown LA, and my gas bills have quadrupled over the last decade. Even with my increased reliance on electric power, my electric bills have been stable–and about 1/2 my gas bills–or less. What is it that makes your electric bills so high and gas so low?”

1 Like

Hi Kaleo,

I’m perfectly happy discussing lynn see’s OP. I’m quite familiar with the NYC condo world, and, IMO, she was right to explore induction when her gas stove died–and also right that it would be much easier to do in a free standing house.

Ray

“I’m perfectly happy discussing lynn see’s OP. I’m quite familiar with the NYC condo world”

Oh, OK, Ray, but then why did you divert the discussion to the SOCAL utility market and Ovente IR?

OP wasn’t seeking your or anyone else’s advice on induction. She had gas and likes it, and was only reporting that it would have been expensive to rewire for an induction replacement. Many people–even in freestanding homes–get a rude awakening when they dive into induction only to discover they need to upgrade their electrical service. It can cost more than the appliance. Maybe that’s why you don’t have 220v induction, instead relying on hotplates?

Hi Lynn see,

Thanks for your thread, and your comments on other threads. Hope you have a continuing great experience at Hungry Onion/

Ray

2 Likes

Hi Kaleo,

As promised, I’ll give you my user report on Ovente infrared.

I bought it in part as a replacement for a two burner Oester with cast iron tops and defective knobs. In the past, it was the only way to heat up smaller cast iron and other non cast iron pieces that failed to “catch” with my induction units.

The Ovente infrared promised to solve that problem with a lighter, healthier solution.

Works fine. Took water in a small Le Creuset ECI to a full boil in 6 minutes. I’m sure it provides that capability I was missing–and it fits with my new kitchen reorganization design.

Ray

We have a gas range that is fueled by propane (50 gal. tank). We have too many extended power outages where we live on outer Cape Cod for us to ever consider switching to an electric stove - induction or not. We can’t use the oven when we lose power, but at least we have 4 gas burners. Especially during winter storms it is comforting to know we can have hot meals, tea and coffee. When our power goes out in warmer months, we have a Big Green Egg and a gas grill with a side burner - but I don’t cook on either of them myself.

Out of curiosity, we did buy a countertop induction cooktop. It didn’t wow us - but who knows if we got a good one. We gave it away. Our kitchen is too small for extra appliances.

2 Likes

Hi retrospek,

There will always be times when external electric won’t be available, so multiple solutions are always necessary. There may be times when gas isn’t available as well.

I’ve always had at least a gas powered camp stove as a backup. Right now, I have a gas hookup, 220 volt and 110 volt electric available in my home–and use them all.

My choice of induction was for a safer and better way to cook–not a decision between electric vs. gas–or even electric vs. induction.

I’ve enjoyed cooking with induction units a great deal for the last five years. There is joy in my kitchen.

Ray

3 Likes

In the last 3 years or so we’ve had 3 outages of 2-4 days each, and I’ve been thinking about a generator but never got one. With gas stove/grill I’m able to cook well enough, but my biggest concern each time was freezer meat spoilage. At 2 days the main freezer was still under freezing temp but it started climbing on the third. I ended up buying ~ 20 pounds of dry ice (4 blocks) and stuffing those in there to keep it safely below freezing for the next couple of days.

I wonder if college apartments (those owned by the Uni, I mean) which forbid hot plates would permit induction, given more safety? One of my daughters has a full-service kitchen available, but another doesn’t have much provided and a portable could be useful for her.