Impossible Whopper at Burger King is now nationwide, briefly

I got to taste test this a couple weeks ago. One of my bffs who I used to have BK dates with has gone vegetarian and we were excited to go eat together.

I got to taste it blind, it’s clear that the IW is not meat, but it was very tasty nonetheless. It has a very distinct nutty flavor which I quite enjoyed. Going back to the regular whopper, it almost seemed a little bland incomparison.

Glad the option is available, but it’s not something I would pay a premium for.

I had some snarky health/sodium related comments but I’ll just keep my mouth shut and move on. :wink:

3 Likes

I went looking for something to compare to and started with things I eat. I compared Morningstar soy-based sausage patties to Jimmy Dean conventional sausage patties. Interestingly the Morningstar patties also have more sodium than conventional patties, about 12%. That is far less than near 60% increase in veggie burger patty sodium from both Impossible and Beyond compared to conventional beef patties. Morningstar also offers a vegan burger patty that contains a mind boggling amount of sodium, way more than Impossible or Beyond.

Pure speculation on my part that sodium content is an artifact of trying to taste like meat. In my opinion, Morningstar soy sausage patties are better than conventional pork sausage, mostly because I find grease offputting (sp?).

I’m going to see if I can come up with numbers for a black bean burger that starts with dried beans (due to the sodium content in commercially canned goods). Any assistance, with footnotes, is welcome.

Repeating myself some people may choose to trade fat for salt, or accept elevated salt levels for their own ethical reasons.

The thread is about our thoughts and experiences in regards to the Impossible Burger. What is of importance to one may be of less to another. I don’t see anyone harping on a specific bandwagon. If shared info/opinion is helpful - great! If shared info/opinion is not helpful then just scroll on by. That’s the beauty of being able to explore a topic together - we are often exposed to and challenged by other pov. :blush:

2 Likes

Really. Ok.

2 Likes

The burger is still available. Several other fast food chains are in the process of introducing impossible chicken and beef items.

The September 30 issue of the New Yorker has a long piece on Impossible meat and other companies working in this field. Some of these products will also be in supermarkets this fall. I am sold, even if the current price is higher than ground beef. For the dubious, there’s the option to mix real ground meat with the new faux form, for somewhat less impact on the environment and your coronary health risks. The article notes that version 3 of Impossible meat (the current BK whopper is version 2), which is even better, is coming soon. They are working on upping the umami and caramelized meat flavor. :hamburger:

1 Like

No picture but my local Dunkin’ had free impossible sausage sandwiches the other day so I tried it. Not as convincing as the impossible whopper but still pretty dam impressive for a non-meat substitute.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here…

I googled the source, a conservative website created by a Breitbart alum. That article does not say anything about how the burger compares to other soy-based foods. It comes as no surprise that any risk of feminization is “red meat” for the website’s target audience.

4 Likes

I tried the Houlihan version of the I-Burger recently completely out of curiosity and it was tasty; moist, char, didn’t taste exactly like beef but it sure had the aroma. With the lettuce, tomato, cheese on top well camo’d…

I have read a few articles about the story surrounding how these alternative products are made. It’s good to know what’s in them ingredient wise but moderation in all things likely applies here too.

Hardly credible journalism. I can’t speak to estrogen or amino acids. It’s clear that Impossible Burger has an astounding amount of sodium and really is no more healthy than eating a cow. The mission statement of the company is to make the world better based on the position that eating anything with a face is inherently bad. Making an unhealthy product to–over the long term–reduce the population is a start.

Well, that makes sense, in that soybeans are known to contain phytoestrogens. I hadn’t thought about that, but since I’m taking estrogen-suppressing medication for a breast tumor that was fortunately removed, I probably won’t jump on the bandwagon. But then I’ve only had three Whoppers in my life (and loved every bite).

I finally had an Impossible Burger. Jeepers. Not very good and the salt made my tongue curl.

1 Like

But, but a commercial said that thing is just as good as a whopper. Wait, the whopper hasn’t been good for at least 30 years or at least since they stopped broiling to order.

2 Likes