Do You Like Houseguests Using Your Kitchen?

I do love a half sheet pan!

1 Like

I just finished lining two with foil and putting on the racks for my morning project of baking bacon for jam.

Even husbands are trainable. Mostly. grin

My wife sometimes moves “where things go” without letting me know. Our accommodation is I leave out anything for which I’m not sure about the correct location.

4 Likes

The problem is mine, in the end, ends up just leaving too many things out. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I think training houseguests are easier… They won’t reply every request with a “but”

5 Likes

This is hilarious, @shrinkrap :joy:

My SIL has an occasional cleaning lady who loves putting things away where she thinks they should be, vs where they actually live. So every couple of days we’ll be hunting for some mundane object (measuring cups, for eg) that have just disappeared. Then my SIL will pause - oh wait, I think she thinks they should be with the baking stuff, not the drawer with kitchen tools. So we look in the various places baking things might be - et voila!

It’s funny except that it’s also super annoying… the lady in question is wonderful and has many other things to recommend her, thankfully :joy:

3 Likes

I wish I could resist, but I can’t.

What’s the sodium content of the bacon? Asking for a friend. Or two.

:thinking:

It’s a GREAT question.

260 mg per slice, 12 slices per pound so 780 mg for a 1/4 pound, equivalent in weight to a burger. That’s a lot. More than Impossible or Beyond, less than Morningstar. Working through the jam recipe it comes out to about 65 mg/tsp which is a serving. That isn’t so bad.

I do enjoy bacon and the smell is wonderful. I don’t eat it much because fats (even baked instead of pan fried) and salt are just not good.

This batch of jam is for a family member whose throat cancer has metastasized in his lungs. Diet issues are not his problem in the short term and he doesn’t really have a long term. I’ll cook anything for him that he wants. The mother of my previous wife decided to spend her last time drinking G&Ts looking out over a beach rather than on life support. I think she was pretty well pickled when she passed. My relative/friend is following the same course of quality of life. So if he want’s a triple Impossible Burger I’ll make him one. grin Pickled in alcohol or preserved in salt makes little difference.

I’m not angling for any sympathy. Given my posting history about salt your question is entirely reasonable. More than that your question aligns with my own warped sense of humor. Life happens. We make choices based on what we are faced with. That isn’t to say I won’t dab a teaspoon of bacon jam on a lightly toasted slice of sourdough bread (which has as much salt as the bacon jam sigh).

Good catch.

6 Likes

You can send him to me for remedial training. The 100 level course is very clear - the appropriate response is “yes dear.”

2 Likes

Funny!!!

1 Like

Having house guests is rare for us- our house is small and not set up for it since I’m self employed and work at home primarily (with a ton of inventory taking up any space that could accommodate guests,) but on that rare occasion or even just when people are hanging out here anyone is welcome to use any thing at any time. Even nice stuff is just replaceable stuff. Even the one total absolute $h!t houseguest we had is more important than a knife or frying pan.

In my younger days lots of friends in bands crashed at my places and were always welcome to use anything. Rarely was anything ever broken. Definitely not something I’m willing to be upset about.

10 Likes

Awesome outlook!

3 Likes

You’re a saint @Lambchop.

Our place is too small so it would make me crazy. I don’t like this about myself, but in general I loathe people in the kitchen when I’m cooking. Maybe if they’re helping chop stuff or it’s a holiday and we’re cooking together and everyone has their task. But that’s rarely the case. Usually it’s me cooking and peeps in the kitchen trying to chat me up while I’m doing it. If they ask what they can do I say “mingle with the guests”. Seems to work. It’s why I think open kitchens look really fly, but could NEVER have one. I’d end up wielding a knife at someone.

But, on another note. Did I read some of you don’t like people doing your dishes? WTH? I’d love for someone to do my dishes!

3 Likes

Ha! Hardly a saint…re: the dishes - we’re opposites there. But I would gladly come to dinner at your house and drink wine while watching you cook. Then I would happily do your dishes, save your sharp knives from abuse and ensure your drains wouldn’t clog! :rofl:

2 Likes

Deal!

Okay, now, those are my favorite guests. I do do kid sleepovers. But they have no interest in using my kitchen.

1 Like

Yah, on the flip side I don’t want to stay at someone’s house. Having to be polite and social 24/7? A holiday for us is a hotel or Airbnb and showing up for whatever the host/ess has planned for the day.

4 Likes

Okay, after I posted my grumpy opinions I read more of others’ lovely, happy-to-have-everyone-in-my-space opinions. I feel like more of a grumpus and now antisocial too. I’m really not. I swear. :relaxed: I love entertaining and making people happy, and I don’t have a problem with people touching or using anything I have and please feel free to do my dishes (unless you’re one of @meatn3’s mom’s caregivers :wink:). I just have a real problem with space and people hovering when I’m cooking. Idk why. Oh, and staying at hotels gives us a chance to decompress from the HUGE, really fun, but chaotic family functions.

Okay, that’s enough confessing from me this weekend. Looking forward to seeing what everyone is cooking this month!

8 Likes

I don’t think you’re grumpy OR antisocial- in fact you don’t scare me one bit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. It is a hindrance having too many in the kitchen trying to help, especially in smaller spaces. My problem is I get too distracted and have a hard time staying on task and meeting timelines. I def do best by myself or with DH since we’ve been cooking together a long time now. But I do try to roll with things, which sometimes means a time-out and a little more wine…:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

This is reminding me that I am neither traveling to, nor having anyone in my kitchen for Thanksgiving. I’m doing Thanksgiving for two, when I am usually in the MIL’s kitchen helping her do it for 30!

I’m thinking about starting a thread, but I think about a lot of things.

Thanksgiving Dinner Menu for Two

1 Like