I'm going to tackle failed recipes.

Ok . Were on shelter in place . Locked down . So now there is time to tackle those recipes again that were failures . You tried and tried . Mine .
1 ) dough and making bread
2 ) Chile rellenos.
And yours ?
Maybe connect this with the home cooking board .

6 Likes

Oh . I forgot the number one .
Jacques Pepin French omelette with technique.

1 Like

I am very secure in my ability to make bread and chile rellenos. I’ve tried to make that stupid omelette a dozen times and it NEVER comes out right. I have much better luck with Jose Andres’ Spanish style eggs. Give it a try! Get your confidence back.

It never came out right . Will continue to try to make the Pepin omelet. My white whale.

2 Likes

Ahhhhhh! What my husband used to call “bacon”!
I want to hear more about your Chile rellenos. I never seem to think it’s worth making at home.

I know . They have always come out horrible. I’ll be at home for a while. Why do they come out horrible including the sauce ? That is the question.

Fresh ho fun noodles. Absolute failure last time but I tried to steam the mix using the bottom of a cake tin with no lip so it kept sloshing over the sides. We bought a new small baking tray so I’ll give it another go.

I make it as a casserole.

6-8 big chili peppers (anaheims>cubanelles>poblanos)
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1 big clove of garlic, minced
1 14 oz can of tomatoes, cored and crushed
Salt
8 oz Monterey Jack cheese (or queso blanco), sliced
3 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar

Broil the peppers until blackened, and peel. Slit each one and open it to lay flat. Remove the stems, ribs and seeds. Saute the onions in olive oil until they soften, then add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and some salt and simmer for 20 minutes. Spread the tomato sauce across the bottom of an 8x8 inch baking dish, and lay half of the peppers on top, then the jack cheese, then the other half of the peppers, then half the cheddar. Pour the egg mixture over top and sprinkle with the rest of the cheddar. Bake at 375 for about 30:00.

4 Likes

You mean fresh cheung fun? or you mean making your own ho fun? Would like to see your process and result…

Made my first no knead bread last week! Success.

Problem is flour is in shortage all the time in supermarket.

5 Likes

Made wonton once, but too much farce, didn’t taste right…Thinking of making some type of dumplings Asian style, Chinese or Japanese. I need to make my own skin, since the Asian grocery stores are in Paris, and we are forbidden to go that far without risking a fine, we live in the outskirt.

1 Like

Chiles rellenos. Which? Coated and deep-fried or roasted and filled only?

I’m a failure. I can’t even boil eggs and peel them without destroying them. Have tried about everything the internet suggested. Whenever I see “boil eggs and peel” in a recipe I just turn the page :fearful:

2 Likes

I’ve done okay with roasted and stuffed only, with a nice sauce, but I actually prefer a crispy pablo coating. Not a huge fan of the puffy egg coating. I usually only try to make two at a time, MAYBE 5.

Casserole sounds like a good idea to try.

3 Likes

I think they need deep fryer ? Mine came out horrible in frying pan

i meant panko crumbs, not pablo. These are not mine, but they end up looking something like this;

3 Likes

Looks great . I like the ones with the egg white batter served with the red sauce . With a little bit of cheese on top . I have made them a couple times with fail . Greasy with bad red sauce .

1 Like

Great photo!!

Just to be clear; I did not make those and didn’t take the pic!

I know! Still great photo! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Here’s some I actually made, from rehydrated dried chilis. I think bought that relleno book.

I think it was stuffed with plantains.

3 Likes