Il Nido, Marlboro, NJ

@gracieggg @Ragtopssk We’ve dined outdoors at Il Nido many times, most recently week before last. We always sit in the same cabana, which they now know as “our table.” You need to go inside to let them know you’ve arrived, and the hostess will take you to your cabana. They are extremely comfortable, and service is very attentive!

As mentioned, they have propane heaters. So far, we haven’t needed one. But they will bring one out for you if you request it. (My guess is if the temperature is very cool, they may already have put them out there.)

By the way, some of the outdoor tables are not in the cabanas; instead, they are lined up along the front of the restaurant under the building’s overhang. We were told that they are going to install heaters (I presume electric) above those tables, but I don’t know if it’s been done yet. Even so, those tables don’t provide as much protection as the cabanas which have curtains that can be closed on three sides. So, if you want a cabana, I suggest you call and request one.

I’ve taken a number of photos of the outdoor set-up and our table. I’ll search my Flickr albums for them and post them. So, stay tuned!

6 Likes

Great thanks for the advice!

1 Like

Tables along the restaurant front. Since this photo was taken in May, they’ve added a lot more shrubbery along the front for more privacy.

Il Nido Ristorante

There are two rows of cabanas (though I think of them more as tents). “Ours” is in front on the right.

Il Nido

“Our tent.” It was a warm, sunny day. The curtain on the right was closed to shield us from the direct sunshine.

Il Nido Ristorante

Happy Anniversary! Looking forward to hearing all about what I’m sure will be a wonderful evening.

5 Likes

I am confused, do they have a liquor license or is it still byob?

They acquired one and are due to start operating under it shortly, if they aren’t already. It’s been announced and in the works a little while now.

3 Likes

So if I am going next Saturday should I bring a bottle or not?
Guess I should call.

1 Like

Their full bar service starts November 2nd. You will be able to order cocktails and wine next week. For new customers there will be a $25 price per bottle if you bring your own wine.

3 Likes

Thanks for the very helpful information

2 Likes

You’re welcome. I hope you enjoy your dinner! See if you can get David as your server. He is very good. I’m looking forward to your write up.

2 Likes

What do you mean by ‘new customers’?

I would interpret that to be Eli is probably one of a few customers who will be “grand fathered” and not subjected to their corkage fee.

4 Likes

My guess is anyone who has never dined there before.

When we found out several months ago that owner Joe Folgare was in the process of getting a liquor license, we asked him what he was going to do about the BYO situation. He said he planned to keep it. We asked if that would mean there’d be a corkage charge, and he didn’t say there would be one. So, this is the first I’m hearing about a $25 charge for “new customers.” Frankly, other restaurants we go to that have a liquor license do charge a corkage fee for diners who wish to bring their own wine. Some places even have additional rules, for example, it can’t be a wine that is on the restaurant’s wine list.

Frankly, I think he should charge everyone who brings their own wine a corkage fee, and $25 seems quite reasonable to me.

3 Likes

I guess we will know soon enough.

Yes, @NotJrvedivici is correct. Joe the owner will not charge a corkage fee to his regular customers who have been ‘grandfathered’. I am fortunate enough to be one of them. I travel 2 hours round trip to go to Il Nido every 3 weeks to a month, and Joe appreciates my business. I am sure any new customer that becomes a regular might get that benefit as well in the future.

2 Likes

We, too, would be “grandfathered” in. But I still think there should be one policy for all patrons irrespective of whether they are “regulars” or first-timers.

2 Likes

You are entitled to your opinion, but I am very glad that Joseph will still allow me to bring my own wine at no additional charge. I have been a very loyal customer and it is nice to be appreciated. We only go to BYO’s and would have hated to stop going to this excellent restaurant that is well worth the trip. I am already spending around $200, and the extra $50 for wine would have been way over my already stretched budget. Anyway, we will probably order port for dessert.

3 Likes

Hi Eli,

We have enjoyed reading your posts especially as they are centered in Northern New Jersey, where we currently live.

You should try to get to the Circle in Fredon. The chefs are from JG in NYC. and the restaurant is in a house from the 1700’s. Please know the ride is out route 80 and another very dark 20 minutes north on route 206 towards High Point, not for the meek. We enjoyed an excellent seared fois gras with pear compote, beautiful oysters, butternut squash gnocchi, halibut and scallops. I think it would find its way into your monthly schedule.

4 Likes

Thank you @harrynj0961 and welcome to Hungry Onion!
I actually have a reservation for the Circle on November 21st, and am really looking forward to it. I first heard about this restaurant when reading NJ Monthly’s top 30 restaurants and it sounded very intriguing.
Have you ever tried James on Main in Hackettstown? It is outstanding & I highly recommend it. When I read about the Circle restaurant it reminded me of James on Main.

It’s nice to have a fellow Northerner here on the NJ site :slightly_smiling_face: Most of the NJ members are from Central Jersey. What part of North Jersey are you from?
Anyway, I look forward to reading about your reviews and experiences!

3 Likes

@harrynj0961 welcome aboard. Great to have some more northerns onboard the humble NJ page. I’m sure @paryzer will appreciate it for sure as well.

1 Like

I just called to make sure they have a Cabana available for me, thanks for the recommendation.
Any food recommendations?

1 Like